Re: [Marbling] Re: ox gall

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
      What is in the arts stores is weak. Colophon and I also sell the "real thing" for marbling. Better to stick with the few marbling suppliers such as us and a few others because we are constantly using and testing the material we sell. We can also troubleshoot any problems you have for that reason.\

      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com

      On 02/24/13, John Goode<watermarktile@...> wrote:

      Hello
      The windsor newton brand is watered down and I found it not to marble well.
      Colophon has nice ox gall.
      John Goode

    • Lilly Thingz
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
        Thank you John and Iris,  I didn't think that they would diminish it but it does make sense.
         I guess Basic Crafts Co in NYC is gone as well?  Gabriele mentions it in her Supply Sources
        but I could not find it, but then again Grunebaum's book is 30 years old.

        Lilly
        : irisnevins <irisnevins@...>

      • D or Jer Guffey
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
          I marble with acrylics and they do not need additional oxgall...

          d.guffey

        • anthonianthonianthoni
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 25, 2013
            Yes and No.
            The ox-gall is indeed the bile-juice of the ox, cow, calf, bull &c. the same product is used both in watercolours & marbling. The only difference is that the stuff sold for use in W/ colour tends to be weaker than that sold for marbling.
            However, the bile juice of the cow does not need to be used. It appears that any beast which has a gall can make perfectly servicable stuff for marbling. I have even heard that the finest gall for marbling comes from the gallbladder of a fish.