Re: ox gall

  • John Goode
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
      Hello
      The windsor newton brand is watered down and I found it not to marble well.
      Colophon has nice ox gall.
      John Goode

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
        What is in the arts stores is weak. Colophon and I also sell the "real thing" for marbling. Better to stick with the few marbling suppliers such as us and a few others because we are constantly using and testing the material we sell. We can also troubleshoot any problems you have for that reason.\

        Iris Nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com

        On 02/24/13, John Goode<watermarktile@...> wrote:

        Hello
        The windsor newton brand is watered down and I found it not to marble well.
        Colophon has nice ox gall.
        John Goode

      • Lilly Thingz
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
          Thank you John and Iris,  I didn't think that they would diminish it but it does make sense.
           I guess Basic Crafts Co in NYC is gone as well?  Gabriele mentions it in her Supply Sources
          but I could not find it, but then again Grunebaum's book is 30 years old.

          Lilly
          : irisnevins <irisnevins@...>

        • D or Jer Guffey
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
            I marble with acrylics and they do not need additional oxgall...

            d.guffey

          • anthonianthonianthoni
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 25, 2013
              Yes and No.
              The ox-gall is indeed the bile-juice of the ox, cow, calf, bull &c. the same product is used both in watercolours & marbling. The only difference is that the stuff sold for use in W/ colour tends to be weaker than that sold for marbling.
              However, the bile juice of the cow does not need to be used. It appears that any beast which has a gall can make perfectly servicable stuff for marbling. I have even heard that the finest gall for marbling comes from the gallbladder of a fish.