ox gall

  • Lilly Thingz
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 23, 2013
      Hi there people

      I got the book by Gabrielle Grunebaum how to marbelize Paper and she mentions Ox Gall.  I was wondering is that the same ox gall I use in painting with watercolours and  gouache?

      thank you kindly

      L~

    • John Goode
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
        Hello
        The windsor newton brand is watered down and I found it not to marble well.
        Colophon has nice ox gall.
        John Goode

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
          What is in the arts stores is weak. Colophon and I also sell the "real thing" for marbling. Better to stick with the few marbling suppliers such as us and a few others because we are constantly using and testing the material we sell. We can also troubleshoot any problems you have for that reason.\

          Iris Nevins
          www.marblingpaper.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
            Thank you John and Iris,  I didn't think that they would diminish it but it does make sense.
             I guess Basic Crafts Co in NYC is gone as well?  Gabriele mentions it in her Supply Sources
            but I could not find it, but then again Grunebaum's book is 30 years old.

            Lilly
            : irisnevins <irisnevins@...>

          • D or Jer Guffey
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
              I marble with acrylics and they do not need additional oxgall...

              d.guffey

            • anthonianthonianthoni
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 25, 2013
                Yes and No.
                The ox-gall is indeed the bile-juice of the ox, cow, calf, bull &c. the same product is used both in watercolours & marbling. The only difference is that the stuff sold for use in W/ colour tends to be weaker than that sold for marbling.
                However, the bile juice of the cow does not need to be used. It appears that any beast which has a gall can make perfectly servicable stuff for marbling. I have even heard that the finest gall for marbling comes from the gallbladder of a fish.