Re: [Marbling] Re: bubbles

  • molliann@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2001
      Someone just mentioned "Buko Undo suminagashi inks" which brings up a
      question to which I would love your imput.
      In January I will be teaching Suminagashi to the entire Elementary school in
      conjunction with a school wide unit on Japan. Six years ago I taught it for
      the first time with the help of a parent who was also a bookbinder. We used a
      wide collection of colored ink and thinned down acrylic paint and had hit or
      miss results with the colors. I know I sound like a complete novice but Is
      there a special ink for suminagashi? .One paper that works bettter than
      another? If so where can I purchase the inks and the papers so our results
      will be more consistant?
    • sixshort
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2002
        Dear Tom, Last August you mentioned that you were trying your Indian
        handmade papers again, and that you would let me know the results.
        How did you get on? from Joan Ajalah--- In Marbling@y...,
        leech541@a... wrote:
        > Dear Joan, This is getting interesting. Now i remember having a
        similar
        > problem years ago when i used the Indian handmades. I think i must
        not be
        > nearly as persistent as you. I just put them aside and avoided
        them, thinking
        > the problem was with the me. Too bad, because they are such a good
        buy.
        > Anyway, i'm going to be doing some marbling today and will give
        them a try.

        > I have some thoughts about what the problem might be though. First,
        i'm
        > curious about why you submerge the paper in the first place. Is
        that to get
        > the bubbles out? When I alum i use a spray bottle and a sponge.
        Maybe 2 or
        > even 3 applications of alum, sponged in well would work (?). I
        think a long
        > soak in water (water being the universal solvent) might be worth a
        try. Like
        > at least overnight, as if you were soaking it for etching, and as
        long as a
        > couple of days, with a rinse once in while thrown in for good
        measure. The
        > Indian papers i've used for printmaking are tough as can be, and
        you could
        > probably hit them with a fire hose and they would stay in one piece.
        >
        > Anyway, after thoroughly soaking them you would want to dry them
        flat before
        > aluming and marbling. And then try to marble with them while still
        damp and
        > limp from the aluming. Once they have dried out you would probably
        have to
        > really wrestle with them.
        >
        > My guess as to the source of the problem is that it comes from the
        sizing. It
        > is probably applied to the various papers you mentioned in
        different ways,
        > but if it is a surface sizing it could easily have trapped air in
        the fibers.
        > Less likely would be bleach or caustic soda, because they would
        have been
        > diluted and evenly distributed throughout the sheet. If the
        chemical used as
        > internal sizing is applied directly to the sheet, as a surface
        size, it
        > would be extremely tough and probably spotty.
        >
        > This does bring to mind the wonderful and no doubt funniest book
        ever
        > written about marbling - Henry Morris' "The World's Worst Marbled
        Papers." It