scarf tank

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2013
      the pvc pipe tank and scarf drying rack I found in a couple of books on
      marbling. I would have to look through them to find them again Also, I
      believe it's Pat K Thomas that uses one, she might send in a photo of hers.

      The clip "helper" idea I got from the photos on Lucille Scelfo's website.
      I first used clothespins, buyt they were rough and snagged on the scarves
      and broke easily. Later, I used some plastic and metal clamps I got from
      Home Depot in a bag of 11 clamps for $11.00 - all different sizes. Those
      have worked much better.

      I'm not sure how Lucille does it, but I clamp one end of the scarf to the
      clamps, wrap the other end around the back of my neck for a minute to keep
      it out of the way, then stretch and put the far end down, the QUICKLY
      unhook the clamped end and put that down. I say quickly, because as soon
      as you let go of the loose end, the scarf starts to move down towards the
      other end and if I take too long, I get "hesitation" marks. I'm probably
      the only one that knows what they are, but i don't like them to be in the
      finished scarf.

      you can see the helper in the 3rd photo here:
      http://www.silksbylucia.com/hand_painted/marbling_process

      She has told me she uses paints by Pro-Chem which are pre-mixed to do her
      scarves.

      I can't find the photo of the pvc pipe tank right now, but you just use
      elbows for the corners and short pieces of pipe for the two ends, then use
      a reinforcing piece of elbow and pip in the middle of the longer sides.
      HTH
      Sue

    • gretchen vansant
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2013
        Funny that's exactly my term for it�I don't have a contraption. But when I work with my "helper" thats how I explain what we "don't want" to move in a continuous motion. I also get "ghosties" from the gathering of alum which will happen when drying on the line (contrary to paper I think) or in storage. Just experiment ,experiment,experiment�solve,resolve�and then when everything comes together�its so cool

      • kumqtmay@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013
          Here are some pictures of my "tinker toy" PVC pipe scarf tray. Go to my Facebook fan page: Facebook.com/seenmymarbles? Click on the "Photos" button. Find the "Arrowmont, March, 2012" folder. Photos 5, 6 & 17 show the tray. The size is really trashed, but you can get an idea of its components & high-tech construction. Different sized rails allow for many configurations for tray dimensions.

          If you also go to the "Event" button, you will find my current teaching schedule as well.

          Will try to find some better pictures of the tray to show.

          Creatively,
          Pat K. Thomas