scarf tank

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2013
      you'll probably get several answers to this, but I would think a steel tank
      would be expensive, plus heavy to work with. I have found a small wet/dry
      vacuum that works perfectly for emptying the tank, other people have a hole
      with a cork or spigot built into the end. Mine is about 2-3" larger all
      around than the largest scarf I plan to use. otherwise, you have problems
      with it hitting the sides and not printing there.

      Mine is wood lined with heavy 6 mil plastic that is doubled and stapled
      down, you could also tape it with duct tape which I used to do and still
      tape the sides down.

      Other people use pvc pipe lined with the doubled plastic which is easier to
      use and store and you can put it together in different sizes. Right now I
      have several wooden ones built to acommodate different sizes of fabric, for
      instance 26" square for bandannas which are 22" square and one that is 38"
      square for a 36' square piece of material and my scarf tank is 16" by 7'
      long. My drying rack is pvc pipe with horizontal pipes that I can move
      around or you can use a diaper drying rack or clothesline.

      If I were starting again now, I would make all the tanks out of pvc pipe
      that you could take apaprt. The wood ones take up a lot of room to store
      them when I'm not using them.

      I usually use a human helper to hold the other end of the scarf, but I also
      built a wooden "helper" with 2 clamps on it on the scarf tank for when I am
      alone.
      HTH
      Sue

    • Zia Gipson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2013
        Would you please post a photo of your PVC tank and clip device. Would help a great deal. Thanks
        Zia

        On Jan 3, 2013, at 2:26 PM, Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote:

        > you'll probably get several answers to this, but I would think a steel tank
        > would be expensive, plus heavy to work with. I have found a small wet/dry
        > vacuum that works perfectly for emptying the tank, other people have a hole
        > with a cork or spigot built into the end. Mine is about 2-3" larger all
        > around than the largest scarf I plan to use. otherwise, you have problems
        > with it hitting the sides and not printing there.
        >
        > Mine is wood lined with heavy 6 mil plastic that is doubled and stapled
        > down, you could also tape it with duct tape which I used to do and still
        > tape the sides down.
        >
        > Other people use pvc pipe lined with the doubled plastic which is easier to
        > use and store and you can put it together in different sizes. Right now I
        > have several wooden ones built to acommodate different sizes of fabric, for
        > instance 26" square for bandannas which are 22" square and one that is 38"
        > square for a 36' square piece of material and my scarf tank is 16" by 7'
        > long. My drying rack is pvc pipe with horizontal pipes that I can move
        > around or you can use a diaper drying rack or clothesline.
        >
        > If I were starting again now, I would make all the tanks out of pvc pipe
        > that you could take apaprt. The wood ones take up a lot of room to store
        > them when I'm not using them.
        >
        > I usually use a human helper to hold the other end of the scarf, but I also
        > built a wooden "helper" with 2 clamps on it on the scarf tank for when I am
        > alone.
        > HTH
        > Sue

      • Sue Cole
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2013
          the pvc pipe tank and scarf drying rack I found in a couple of books on
          marbling. I would have to look through them to find them again Also, I
          believe it's Pat K Thomas that uses one, she might send in a photo of hers.

          The clip "helper" idea I got from the photos on Lucille Scelfo's website.
          I first used clothespins, buyt they were rough and snagged on the scarves
          and broke easily. Later, I used some plastic and metal clamps I got from
          Home Depot in a bag of 11 clamps for $11.00 - all different sizes. Those
          have worked much better.

          I'm not sure how Lucille does it, but I clamp one end of the scarf to the
          clamps, wrap the other end around the back of my neck for a minute to keep
          it out of the way, then stretch and put the far end down, the QUICKLY
          unhook the clamped end and put that down. I say quickly, because as soon
          as you let go of the loose end, the scarf starts to move down towards the
          other end and if I take too long, I get "hesitation" marks. I'm probably
          the only one that knows what they are, but i don't like them to be in the
          finished scarf.

          you can see the helper in the 3rd photo here:
          http://www.silksbylucia.com/hand_painted/marbling_process

          She has told me she uses paints by Pro-Chem which are pre-mixed to do her
          scarves.

          I can't find the photo of the pvc pipe tank right now, but you just use
          elbows for the corners and short pieces of pipe for the two ends, then use
          a reinforcing piece of elbow and pip in the middle of the longer sides.
          HTH
          Sue

        • gretchen vansant
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2013
            Funny that's exactly my term for it�I don't have a contraption. But when I work with my "helper" thats how I explain what we "don't want" to move in a continuous motion. I also get "ghosties" from the gathering of alum which will happen when drying on the line (contrary to paper I think) or in storage. Just experiment ,experiment,experiment�solve,resolve�and then when everything comes together�its so cool

          • kumqtmay@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013
              Here are some pictures of my "tinker toy" PVC pipe scarf tray. Go to my Facebook fan page: Facebook.com/seenmymarbles? Click on the "Photos" button. Find the "Arrowmont, March, 2012" folder. Photos 5, 6 & 17 show the tray. The size is really trashed, but you can get an idea of its components & high-tech construction. Different sized rails allow for many configurations for tray dimensions.

              If you also go to the "Event" button, you will find my current teaching schedule as well.

              Will try to find some better pictures of the tray to show.

              Creatively,
              Pat K. Thomas