Dream of Water

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
      Hello all,

      I've just received the first delivery of a new edition of Hikmet Barutçugil's basic work.

      It is a thoroughly revised and bilingual (German and English) version of the first edition, published originally in Turkish and English in 2001. Contents: development of the art of ebru, brush making, preparing pigments, extensive instructions for making the traditional Turkish patterns with many pictures. An important book with many new pictures (incl. barut ebru, although this technique is not being explained in the book) for everyone interested in the unique art of ebru. New typography and design. Sewn, hard cover, high quality picture printing paper, ribbon bookmark. 197 pp., ca. 200 pictures, 21 x 27 cm. Euro 96 plus shipping.

      As the book is heavy (over 900 gr), mailing it costs quite a bit. If you're interested to have the book I imagine forming a 'shopping society' wouldn't be a bad idea.

      Susanne Krause
    • yilmazve
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2013
        I also have that book and I can share the info if required. However I was disappointed to see that he doesn't even mention about Barut Ebru, there. I don't understand why he keeps this secret for himself. Anyway everybody has secrets;)
        Cheers
        Vesile

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I've just received the first delivery of a new edition of Hikmet Barutçugil's basic work.
        >
        > It is a thoroughly revised and bilingual (German and English) version of the first edition, published originally in Turkish and English in 2001. Contents: development of the art of ebru, brush making, preparing pigments, extensive instructions for making the traditional Turkish patterns with many pictures. An important book with many new pictures (incl. barut ebru, although this technique is not being explained in the book) for everyone interested in the unique art of ebru. New typography and design. Sewn, hard cover, high quality picture printing paper, ribbon bookmark. 197 pp., ca. 200 pictures, 21 x 27 cm. Euro 96 plus shipping.
        >
        > As the book is heavy (over 900 gr), mailing it costs quite a bit. If you're interested to have the book I imagine forming a 'shopping society' wouldn't be a bad idea.
        >
        > Susanne Krause

      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2013
          Vesile,

          this book is about the traditional Turkish techniques. Barut ebru is not one of those and therefore has no place in the book. Barut ebru is mentioned in both editions, however, in that Hikmet's personal style has been dubbed barut ebru by his American friends and colleagues. As opposed to the first edition there are many pictures of barut ebru in this revised edition.

          The text has been thoroughly revised by Hikmet or in accordance with him before and during translation and editing, particularly in the section about historical development.

          As to keeping a secret: it is a matter of course that a person who has developed a personal style and technique keeps quiet about it while they make their living on it; no one can expect different. What is to be avoided is to keep the secret later on. Too much knowledge about paper decoration in any conceivable technique has gone to the graves with the paper decorators already. That his has been happening for centuries doesn't make it any better.

          Susanne Krause

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "yilmazve" wrote:

          > I also have that book and I can share the info if required. However I was disappointed to see that he doesn't even mention about Barut Ebru, there. I don't understand why he keeps this secret for himself. Anyway everybody has secrets;)
          > Cheers
          > Vesile
          >
          > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all,
          > >
          > > I've just received the first delivery of a new edition of Hikmet Barutçugil's basic work.
          > >
          > > It is a thoroughly revised and bilingual (German and English) version of the first edition, published originally in Turkish and English in 2001. Contents: development of the art of ebru, brush making, preparing pigments, extensive instructions for making the traditional Turkish patterns with many pictures. An important book with many new pictures (incl. barut ebru, although this technique is not being explained in the book) for everyone interested in the unique art of ebru. New typography and design. Sewn, hard cover, high quality picture printing paper, ribbon bookmark. 197 pp., ca. 200 pictures, 21 x 27 cm. Euro 96 plus shipping.
          > >
          > > As the book is heavy (over 900 gr), mailing it costs quite a bit. If you're interested to have the book I imagine forming a 'shopping society' wouldn't be a bad idea.
          > >
          > > Susanne Krause

        • Barb Skoog
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2013
            Hi All,

            Please forgive me for my ignorance, but can anyone explain to me what "barut ebru" is? It seems to me that it's a specific style of marbling attributed to a particular person...and not necessarily a traditional/historical pattern or practice.

            Many thanks for any insight!

            Cheers,
            Barb Skoog
            www.BarbSkoog.com

          • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2013
              Barb,

              barut marbling is the special technique and style developed by Hikmet Barutçugil. Definitely not traditional, but can be beautifully combined with the traditional patterns and styles.If you pay a visit to his website, ebristan.com, you'll see many examples.

              Susanne Krause

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Barb Skoog wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > Please forgive me for my ignorance, but can anyone explain to me what "barut ebru" is? It seems to me that it's a specific style of marbling attributed to a particular person...and not necessarily a traditional/historical pattern or practice.
              >
              > Many thanks for any insight!
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Barb Skoog
              > www.BarbSkoog.com

            • zozo7bra
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5, 2013
                Suzanne,

                what is the cost of shipping 'Book Rate' to California. Also, let's say we could find 5-10 people to purchase the book, what would cost of book + cost of shipping be.

                Thanks a lot;
                momo