Re: Re: [Marbling] Re: Sigh

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
      No dry paper is not essential, I just find it simpler to alum ahead and work dry. Are you using acrylic or watercolor? If watercolor, yes you need ox-gall, but not the weak stuff in an art store. You need to order from a marbling supplier. I have it, so do a few others. If acrylic, in my experience ox gall has little to no effect on them, you need Photo Flo which I dilute since it is very strong.

      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com

      On 12/31/12, Mary Shilman<maryshilman@...> wrote:

      Kim, you didn't mention adding oxgall to your colors in your first email. � Not only is the oxgall involved in floating the colors, it is the oxgall that causes the color to adhere to the alum on the paper. � I'm not sure that having the papers totally dry is essential.
      Good luck,
      Mary

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
        Anthony, this is why I recommend to dilute the PhotoFlo or soap (PhotoFlo preferred, soap in an emergency!) in water, THEN use with a dropped as you would the ox gall. You have more control over it this way.

        Iris Nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com

        On 12/31/12, anthonianthonianthoni<anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:

        Careful with photographic wetting agents--- The last time I used them ( over a year ago, with watercolours) the colours failed to expand ,when added, until you added a few more drops.... then POOF ! the colours expanded like mad, so much so that they obliterated everything in the process - ( but on hindsight, I think it was poor quality colours thatt did this)

        With regards to soap, It is somewhat of a tricky issue. ( I used a sollution of cheap bar soap, again with watercolours) The soap tends to make the colours expand much, much more than gall would , which may be a bit of a problem. Furthermore, of you leave it for a few days, thecolours tend to decompose, into a stringy mass
        But always remember, fortune favours the bold!
        AL
        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "KimH" <kahether@...> wrote:

        > Thank you for the suggestion Sohail! I'm willing to try that - nothing was working yesterday, more water OR more photo-flo.
        >
        > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sohail Akhtar <sohail_7000@> wrote:
        > >
        > > hi. i m sohail sohail from karachi pakistan. � for floating color u can add any dishwasing detergin in color few drops it will flow better. use it then email me. � sohail_7000@ thanks.

      • Marared9
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 3, 2013
          Iris,
          Ah that all "emergencies" would be the type that can be resolved with soap ;-) I do love marblers.
          Suzanne