Re: Sigh

  • anthonianthonianthoni
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
      Careful with photographic wetting agents--- The last time I used them ( over a year ago, with watercolours) the colours failed to expand ,when added, until you added a few more drops.... then POOF ! the colours expanded like mad, so much so that they obliterated everything in the process - ( but on hindsight, I think it was poor quality colours thatt did this)

      With regards to soap, It is somewhat of a tricky issue. ( I used a sollution of cheap bar soap, again with watercolours) The soap tends to make the colours expand much, much more than gall would , which may be a bit of a problem. Furthermore, of you leave it for a few days, thecolours tend to decompose, into a stringy mass
      But always remember, fortune favours the bold!
      AL

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
        Usually if you work with damp paper, and many prefer to, it is best to use the paper up quickly. The times I work damp, I'll alum say 20 or so, marble them, then alum again. Some people can put them damp into a plastic bag and they are good the next morning, I never had luck with that. I really hate to alum while I marble, so alum days ahead and line dry fully. They will keep this way for many years if conditions are right.

        Iris Nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com

        On 12/31/12, KimH<kahether@...> wrote:

        Thank you for your comments, Iris. I am thinking that I did not let the paper with alum dry all the way out. I live in Colorado, so rarely is humidity a problem. I'm thinking I may have been to impatient and didn't wait till the paper was completely dry - it was a little soft when I was working with it.

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
          No dry paper is not essential, I just find it simpler to alum ahead and work dry. Are you using acrylic or watercolor? If watercolor, yes you need ox-gall, but not the weak stuff in an art store. You need to order from a marbling supplier. I have it, so do a few others. If acrylic, in my experience ox gall has little to no effect on them, you need Photo Flo which I dilute since it is very strong.

          Iris Nevins
          www.marblingpaper.com

          On 12/31/12, Mary Shilman<maryshilman@...> wrote:

          Kim, you didn't mention adding oxgall to your colors in your first email. � Not only is the oxgall involved in floating the colors, it is the oxgall that causes the color to adhere to the alum on the paper. � I'm not sure that having the papers totally dry is essential.
          Good luck,
          Mary

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
            Anthony, this is why I recommend to dilute the PhotoFlo or soap (PhotoFlo preferred, soap in an emergency!) in water, THEN use with a dropped as you would the ox gall. You have more control over it this way.

            Iris Nevins
            www.marblingpaper.com

            On 12/31/12, anthonianthonianthoni<anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:

            Careful with photographic wetting agents--- The last time I used them ( over a year ago, with watercolours) the colours failed to expand ,when added, until you added a few more drops.... then POOF ! the colours expanded like mad, so much so that they obliterated everything in the process - ( but on hindsight, I think it was poor quality colours thatt did this)

            With regards to soap, It is somewhat of a tricky issue. ( I used a sollution of cheap bar soap, again with watercolours) The soap tends to make the colours expand much, much more than gall would , which may be a bit of a problem. Furthermore, of you leave it for a few days, thecolours tend to decompose, into a stringy mass
            But always remember, fortune favours the bold!
            AL
            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "KimH" <kahether@...> wrote:

            > Thank you for the suggestion Sohail! I'm willing to try that - nothing was working yesterday, more water OR more photo-flo.
            >
            > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sohail Akhtar <sohail_7000@> wrote:
            > >
            > > hi. i m sohail sohail from karachi pakistan. � for floating color u can add any dishwasing detergin in color few drops it will flow better. use it then email me. � sohail_7000@ thanks.

          • Marared9
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 3, 2013
              Iris,
              Ah that all "emergencies" would be the type that can be resolved with soap ;-) I do love marblers.
              Suzanne