Re: Sigh

  • KimH
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
      Thank you for the suggestion Sohail! I'm willing to try that - nothing was working yesterday, more water OR more photo-flo.

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sohail Akhtar <sohail_7000@...> wrote:

      > hi. i m sohail sohail from karachi pakistan.  for floating color u can add any dishwasing detergin in color few drops it will flow better. use it then email me.  sohail_7000@... thanks.

    • Mary Shilman
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
        Kim, you didn't mention adding oxgall to your colors in your first email.   Not only is the oxgall involved in floating the colors, it is the oxgall that causes the color to adhere to the alum on the paper.  I'm not sure that having the papers totally dry is essential.
        Good luck,
        Mary

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
          Careful with photographic wetting agents--- The last time I used them ( over a year ago, with watercolours) the colours failed to expand ,when added, until you added a few more drops.... then POOF ! the colours expanded like mad, so much so that they obliterated everything in the process - ( but on hindsight, I think it was poor quality colours thatt did this)

          With regards to soap, It is somewhat of a tricky issue. ( I used a sollution of cheap bar soap, again with watercolours) The soap tends to make the colours expand much, much more than gall would , which may be a bit of a problem. Furthermore, of you leave it for a few days, thecolours tend to decompose, into a stringy mass
          But always remember, fortune favours the bold!
          AL

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
            Usually if you work with damp paper, and many prefer to, it is best to use the paper up quickly. The times I work damp, I'll alum say 20 or so, marble them, then alum again. Some people can put them damp into a plastic bag and they are good the next morning, I never had luck with that. I really hate to alum while I marble, so alum days ahead and line dry fully. They will keep this way for many years if conditions are right.

            Iris Nevins
            www.marblingpaper.com

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
              No dry paper is not essential, I just find it simpler to alum ahead and work dry. Are you using acrylic or watercolor? If watercolor, yes you need ox-gall, but not the weak stuff in an art store. You need to order from a marbling supplier. I have it, so do a few others. If acrylic, in my experience ox gall has little to no effect on them, you need Photo Flo which I dilute since it is very strong.

              Iris Nevins
              www.marblingpaper.com

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
                Anthony, this is why I recommend to dilute the PhotoFlo or soap (PhotoFlo preferred, soap in an emergency!) in water, THEN use with a dropped as you would the ox gall. You have more control over it this way.

                Iris Nevins
                www.marblingpaper.com

                On 12/31/12, anthonianthonianthoni<anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:

                Careful with photographic wetting agents--- The last time I used them ( over a year ago, with watercolours) the colours failed to expand ,when added, until you added a few more drops.... then POOF ! the colours expanded like mad, so much so that they obliterated everything in the process - ( but on hindsight, I think it was poor quality colours thatt did this)

                With regards to soap, It is somewhat of a tricky issue. ( I used a sollution of cheap bar soap, again with watercolours) The soap tends to make the colours expand much, much more than gall would , which may be a bit of a problem. Furthermore, of you leave it for a few days, thecolours tend to decompose, into a stringy mass
                But always remember, fortune favours the bold!
                AL
                --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "KimH" <kahether@...> wrote:

                > Thank you for the suggestion Sohail! I'm willing to try that - nothing was working yesterday, more water OR more photo-flo.
                >
                > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sohail Akhtar <sohail_7000@> wrote:
                > >
                > > hi. i m sohail sohail from karachi pakistan. � for floating color u can add any dishwasing detergin in color few drops it will flow better. use it then email me. � sohail_7000@ thanks.

              • Marared9
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 3, 2013
                  Iris,
                  Ah that all "emergencies" would be the type that can be resolved with soap ;-) I do love marblers.
                  Suzanne