Re: Re: [Marbling] Sigh

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
      Yes, this is true. I have done this when out of ox gall. However it is VERY strong usually (By the way I tried some "pure" brands like Dr. Bronner, and it didn't work at all!) so I dilute a few drops, maybe 5 into 1/2 cup water, THEN use as ox gall would be used.

      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com

      On 12/31/12, Sohail Akhtar<sohail_7000@...> wrote:

      hi. i m sohail sohail from karachi pakistan. � for floating color u can add any dishwasing detergin in color few drops it will flow better. use it then email me. � sohail_7000@... thanks.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
        Thank you for your comments, Iris. I am thinking that I did not let the paper with alum dry all the way out. I live in Colorado, so rarely is humidity a problem. I'm thinking I may have been to impatient and didn't wait till the paper was completely dry - it was a little soft when I was working with it.

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote:

        > First of all, I find it better to line dry the alumed papers, THEN stack them and make sure the room is 50% humidity or less. They should keep indefinitely (mine have kept for years) PROVIDED the paper is suitable for marbling. Most paper is not, Try some Unbuffered Bond from TALAS talasonline.com. That paper works. Line dry it, roll out any curls when dry, stack it for a few days at least.
        >
        > I have no explanation why your paint won't float, try a different paint perhaps. Did you skim the size before each laying of the color? You need to do that, if not, the paint could possibly sink.
        >
        > Iris Nevins
        > www.marblingpaper.com
      • KimH
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
          Thank you for your comments, Nancy. I think I will try adding a little more carrageenan next time - it may help with the paints as well.
          I am in Colorado, unfortunately not close enough to attend. Thanks for the class suggestions.

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Akerly <nakerly@...> wrote:

          > Kim, I have had consistent success with my marbling, but do almost the same things you do. I use two Tbsp plus two tsp of Carrageenan per gallon of water, and use Galen Berry's wonderful paints, which I order from his MarbleArt site. I use about a teaspoon of alum per cup of water, not necessarily warm, and let the papers dry before I stack them. I overlap the strokes in one direction, then repeat in the opposite direction, with a wet sponge. Don't know if these differences are the answer for you. If you are anywhere near Northern Wisconsin I have a Marbling Intensive class in late January at Peninsula Art School in Fish Creek. Or I would highly recommend a class with Galen Berry, who teaches all over the country, or with Pat K. Thomas of Seen My Marbles?, who teaches at John.C Campbell Folk School in North Carolina, among other places.
          > Best wishes for the next time. It's well worth persevering!
          > Nancy Akerly
          >
          > Sent from my iPad
          > Liberty Grove Paper Arts
          > http://www.libertygrovepaperarts.com
        • KimH
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
            Thank you for the suggestion Sohail! I'm willing to try that - nothing was working yesterday, more water OR more photo-flo.

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sohail Akhtar <sohail_7000@...> wrote:

            > hi. i m sohail sohail from karachi pakistan.  for floating color u can add any dishwasing detergin in color few drops it will flow better. use it then email me.  sohail_7000@... thanks.

          • Mary Shilman
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
              Kim, you didn't mention adding oxgall to your colors in your first email.   Not only is the oxgall involved in floating the colors, it is the oxgall that causes the color to adhere to the alum on the paper.  I'm not sure that having the papers totally dry is essential.
              Good luck,
              Mary

              ________________________________
              Thank you for your comments, Iris. I am thinking that I did not let the paper with alum dry all the way out. I live in Colorado, so rarely is humidity a problem. I'm thinking I may have been to impatient and didn't wait till the paper was completely dry - it was a little soft when I was working with it.

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote:

              > First of all, I find it better to line dry the alumed papers, THEN stack them and make sure the room is 50% humidity or less. They should keep indefinitely (mine have kept for years) PROVIDED the paper is suitable for marbling. Most paper is not, Try some Unbuffered Bond from TALAS talasonline.com. That paper works. Line dry it, roll out any curls when dry, stack it for a few days at least.
              >
              > I have no explanation why your paint won't float, try a different paint perhaps. Did you skim the size before each laying of the color? You need to do that, if not, the paint could possibly sink.
              >
              > Iris Nevins
              > www.marblingpaper.com

            • anthonianthonianthoni
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
                Careful with photographic wetting agents--- The last time I used them ( over a year ago, with watercolours) the colours failed to expand ,when added, until you added a few more drops.... then POOF ! the colours expanded like mad, so much so that they obliterated everything in the process - ( but on hindsight, I think it was poor quality colours thatt did this)

                With regards to soap, It is somewhat of a tricky issue. ( I used a sollution of cheap bar soap, again with watercolours) The soap tends to make the colours expand much, much more than gall would , which may be a bit of a problem. Furthermore, of you leave it for a few days, thecolours tend to decompose, into a stringy mass
                But always remember, fortune favours the bold!
                AL

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
                  Usually if you work with damp paper, and many prefer to, it is best to use the paper up quickly. The times I work damp, I'll alum say 20 or so, marble them, then alum again. Some people can put them damp into a plastic bag and they are good the next morning, I never had luck with that. I really hate to alum while I marble, so alum days ahead and line dry fully. They will keep this way for many years if conditions are right.

                  Iris Nevins
                  www.marblingpaper.com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
                    No dry paper is not essential, I just find it simpler to alum ahead and work dry. Are you using acrylic or watercolor? If watercolor, yes you need ox-gall, but not the weak stuff in an art store. You need to order from a marbling supplier. I have it, so do a few others. If acrylic, in my experience ox gall has little to no effect on them, you need Photo Flo which I dilute since it is very strong.

                    Iris Nevins
                    www.marblingpaper.com

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
                      Anthony, this is why I recommend to dilute the PhotoFlo or soap (PhotoFlo preferred, soap in an emergency!) in water, THEN use with a dropped as you would the ox gall. You have more control over it this way.

                      Iris Nevins
                      www.marblingpaper.com

                      On 12/31/12, anthonianthonianthoni<anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:

                      Careful with photographic wetting agents--- The last time I used them ( over a year ago, with watercolours) the colours failed to expand ,when added, until you added a few more drops.... then POOF ! the colours expanded like mad, so much so that they obliterated everything in the process - ( but on hindsight, I think it was poor quality colours thatt did this)

                      With regards to soap, It is somewhat of a tricky issue. ( I used a sollution of cheap bar soap, again with watercolours) The soap tends to make the colours expand much, much more than gall would , which may be a bit of a problem. Furthermore, of you leave it for a few days, thecolours tend to decompose, into a stringy mass
                      But always remember, fortune favours the bold!
                      AL
                      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "KimH" <kahether@...> wrote:

                      > Thank you for the suggestion Sohail! I'm willing to try that - nothing was working yesterday, more water OR more photo-flo.
                      >
                      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sohail Akhtar <sohail_7000@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > hi. i m sohail sohail from karachi pakistan. � for floating color u can add any dishwasing detergin in color few drops it will flow better. use it then email me. � sohail_7000@ thanks.

                    • Marared9
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 3, 2013
                        Iris,
                        Ah that all "emergencies" would be the type that can be resolved with soap ;-) I do love marblers.
                        Suzanne