Re: New member question

  • George Reynolds
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5, 2012
      You know last summer I did a demo at a gallery in western mass and it was about 95 degrees. As the day went on the paint started doing some strange things to the point that toward the end the paint started disintegrating for lack of a better term. It actually could be interesting if you catch it at the right moment. Good luck!
      George
    • Regina St.John
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 5, 2012
        Daniel St. John
        Regina St John
        Chena River Marblers
        70 Justice Drive
        Amherst, MA 01002
        Phone/fax (413) 253-2835
        Www.chenarivermarbl

        Zuhal,

        Regarding your question on how to extend the working life of the carragheen
        marbling bath, I would like to share some our experience with you. It is
        true that dry carragheen powder is becoming increasingly expensive and it
        economical to attempt to make it last longer. We, however, have never
        resorted to adding preservatives to the bath. Regarding health concerns
        having to do with formalin (formaldehyde) you can refer to the EPA studies
        on line. We visited marbling studios in Florence, Italy in August and were
        told that the Summer months are when their marblers take their vacations to
        avoid dealing with the very problems you are concerned with in Australia.
        We teach annually in Virginia where it can be quite hot and humid. With 10
        students and 10 tanks each holding as much as 2.5 gallons of bath and the
        fact that each paper made as well as the cleaning swipes with newspaper
        requires continual addition of new bath; it is desirable to get a little
        more time out of the bath. Our answer is to make sufficient bath the night
        before and make a thicker bath than is called for in most recipes. We buy 5
        and 10 pound bags of ice, wrap them in black plastic bags and leave them in
        the large plastic container. If the ice melts overnight, additional bags of
        ice can be added and left through the day. If you are just working with one
        3 gallon tank, it would not be hard to empty the contents of the tank at the
        end of the day and place the bath in a refrigerator over night. We also
        marble large quantities of silk in a 10 foot tank holding 35-40 gallons of
        bath. If it is hot, I place bags of ice around in the tank when we are
        not marbling as well as in our reserve tanks (usually 2 thirty gallon
        containers. Some people use methyl cell to get longer use of a bath. We
        think that carrageen gives the most control of patterns and are willing to
        pay the price. We never make a carragheen bath until we are ready to marble
        continually without interruption until the bath rots.

        For one of the most authoritative answers to your question, it would be
        useful to find a copy of "Marbled Paper: "It's History, Techniques, and
        Patterns". by Richard J. Wolfe. Especially look at Pages 155 and 156.

        I would like to offer more of a philosophical comment on this issue of
        preserving a marbling bath because it may be undesirable to worry to much
        about extending the life of the bath beyond a day or two. Carragheen is a
        disaccharide, an organic molecule consisting of two long chains. It is a
        form of sugar produced by the red algae plant as stored food. It is a
        natural food for bacteria which are constantly consuming it and breaking it
        down just as is true of milk. It is natural for the viscosity and the
        surface tension to change in the course of its use. Artistically, the
        marbler can learn to use the various states of the bath to obtain different
        types of patterns. An example of this is when we are able to make finer
        combed patterns such as nonpareil derivative ones when the bath is more
        viscous and the colors on the surface are less mobile. When the bath is
        looser we might choose to work with veined patterns. If you read the
        descriptions of 19th century marblers such as Wollnough, some very excellent
        patterns are achieved when the bath is old and well used. I have found that
        The Tiger Eye pattern works best in a looser bath.

        Dan

      • George Reynolds
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
          Dan you must post more often to this group!! And to everyone in the group if you get a chance to take a class with Regina and Dan go for it.
          George
        • Zuhal
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2012
            I wanted to thank you for this lovely post - the approach you have is far more helpful than you realise. It truly is wonderful - I believe the entire process of marbling is fascinating and I think that a philosophical approach helps produce a healthy mind and attitude towards this work. I do think that the Ottoman Turks used it as a source of healing for many people in their time.

            Thanks again,
            Zuhal