Re: New to marbling with a few questions

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
      Regarding inks for Suminagashi (floating inks on water), I have the best, most vivid results with those formulated for the process by a Japanese family -- the Boku Undo inks that you can purchase online. Sumi ink gives a fantastic black and black India ink works well. Other types of inks give a paler result, but stick to those that are "waterproof" (with shellac in them.)

      I also use acrylic inks and Golden liquid acrylics in the Suminagashi technique. You can dilute them with water if needed, but I've found that acrylic medium (I use Golden's GAC100) works as a better dispersant for them than photo-flo. Test first since some colors are already active spreaders, and some, like white, don't work at all.

      In the past year, I've done five demos on Suminagashi, plus five workshops on the process in the North Texas area. So I've built up lots of experience trying different paints and papers. For a beginner, I recommend the extensive chapter on Suminagashi in Diane Maurer's Ultimate Marbling Handbook.

      Sharon