Re: Troubleshooting size problems

  • andreebaillargeon
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 25, 2012
      Thanks George ... you use it on fabric right?
      I have a little carrageenan and will give it a try.

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, George Reynolds <georger1998@...> wrote:

      > I started out marbling with methyl cellulose and switched to carrageenan for exactly the reason you are describing. I never looked back.
      > George

    • Sue Cole
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 25, 2012
        it sounds l like you are not rinsing it out. I have two buckets beside my
        tank and rinse the scarves with a swishing motion like a washing machine in
        first one bucket, then the other to get the excess size and paint out, then
        hang them to dry on a rack that I made or you can use an old fashioned
        diaper drying rack or something. Then I wash them in the washer in a
        short, gentle cycle with a small amount of unscented fabric rinse, then dry
        them in the dryer with towels to heat set them, then iron them with a small
        amount of spray on size to restore the "new" feeling. The always feel soft
        this way.

        the towels help to keep them from tangling.

        Sue

      • kathryn fanelli
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 25, 2012
          Hi Sue,

          I want to send you a quick note to tell you that I've been using the Methyl Cel from Talas and have found it to work better than the other kind (that requires vinegar & ammonia). It has a much better staying power. I was disappointed at first because of the prep and the unknown but I'm still using the same batch! Weeks later. Almost everyday. That fellow who commented on the Talas brand is dead wrong, he says that he used it and it was highly inferior, even more inferior than the alternate mc but I beg to differ.  I'm not a traditional marbler but using the medium more like suminagashi so perhaps I can only speak from this but the stuff works very well. I did add vinegar and ammonia in my batch. I believe that it did actually help the fibers expand more fully.

          My two cents.

          Best,

          Kathryn

        • kathrynfanelli
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 25, 2012
            Sorry folks, this was a private message not meant for the group.

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, kathryn fanelli <kathrynfanelli@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sue,
            >
            > I want to send you a quick note to tell you that I've been using the Methyl Cel from Talas and have found it to work better than the other kind (that requires vinegar & ammonia). It has a much better staying power. I was disappointed at first because of the prep and the unknown but I'm still using the same batch! Weeks later. Almost everyday. That fellow who commented on the Talas brand is dead wrong, he says that he used it and it was highly inferior, even more inferior than the alternate mc but I beg to differ.  I'm not a traditional marbler but using the medium more like suminagashi so perhaps I can only speak from this but the stuff works very well. I did add vinegar and ammonia in my batch. I believe that it did actually help the fibers expand more fully.
            >
            > My two cents.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Kathryn

          • kathrynfanelli
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 25, 2012
              Sorry folks, this was a private message not meant for the group.

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, kathryn fanelli <kathrynfanelli@...> wrote:

              > Hi Sue,
              >
              > I want to send you a quick note to tell you that I've been using the Methyl Cel from Talas and have found it to work better than the other kind (that requires vinegar & ammonia). It has a much better staying power. I was disappointed at first because of the prep and the unknown but I'm still using the same batch! Weeks later. Almost everyday. That fellow who commented on the Talas brand is dead wrong, he says that he used it and it was highly inferior, even more inferior than the alternate mc but I beg to differ.  I'm not a traditional marbler but using the medium more like suminagashi so perhaps I can only speak from this but the stuff works very well. I did add vinegar and ammonia in my batch. I believe that it did actually help the fibers expand more fully.
              >
              > My two cents.
              >
              > Best,
              >
              > Kathryn

            • andreebaillargeon
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 29, 2012
                Thanks Sue,
                I have added 2 rinse tubs to my process and it does help indeed... I was afraid to stir things up until the color had been fixed now I now I can be a llittle more vigorous about this part. Also trying a different brand of MC.

                Thanks forr sharing!
                Happy marbling,
                Andree

                --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote:

                > it sounds l like you are not rinsing it out. I have two buckets beside my
                > tank and rinse the scarves with a swishing motion like a washing machine in
                > first one bucket, then the other to get the excess size and paint out, then
                > hang them to dry on a rack that I made or you can use an old fashioned
                > diaper drying rack or something. Then I wash them in the washer in a
                > short, gentle cycle with a small amount of unscented fabric rinse, then dry
                > them in the dryer with towels to heat set them, then iron them with a small
                > amount of spray on size to restore the "new" feeling. The always feel soft
                > this way.
                >
                > the towels help to keep them from tangling.
                >
                > Sue

              • Deluwiel
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
                  For silk I've been using the methocel from Dharma Trading and have never had that problem after a good rinsing; I did try the marbo gum from ProChem which left a considerable amount of crispy shiny residue even after my typical rinse. I'll not be using it again. I started with carageen but switched to methocel simply because I don't marble every day and I wanted something that would last longer, but now that I have more experience I may go back and try it again just for comparison's sake. I've been putting my silk into a plain white pillowcase to wash and dry and that keeps them from getting knotted up as well.