Re: Carrageenan

  • John Goode
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
      YES there are at least 40 types of carrageenan.
      Jump in try the cheap stuff....you have time to save money.
      The suppliers that supply marblers are professionals that have tested their
      carrageenans so they know they work with what.

      I use a multi tude of carrageenans over the years and I know some will not
      work at all.
      Some will...it depends on your medium receiveing the painting...is it fiber
      paper ceramic wood?
      So paints like carrageenans in many ways....
      Do stick with tradition please and dont try something thats all out there
      like methyl cell or starch...ive seen enough mud marbling to tell me ....
      carrageenan is for me :)
      John Goode

    • jrhsmum
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2012
        I broke down and bought some Jacquard Carrageenan, which was really expensive. I did some research and found out that the seaweed from which it is made is becoming extremely, extremely scarce. A one pound bag now runs about $120 (I was fortunate and mine only cost $60).
        I have seen food grade carrageenan, one kind is kappa - the other iota, and it is only $30 a pound. I would like to know what others use for marbling besides the Irish Moss seaweed kind. I really can't keep up with a hobby that would cost as much as it currently is.
      • D or Jer Guffey
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 6, 2012
          You can purchase carrageenan from Colophon Book Arts http://www.colophonbookarts.com/marblecc.html this is what is listed on her site:

          Carragheenan
          (Size-Irish Moss) This is a food product that is the dried extract from Irish moss, not the moss plant itself. It is mixed in a blender and requires no boiling or straining. One pound will make approximately 27 gallons of size. In powdered form, the shelf life is about four (4) years if kept tightly sealed.
          1/2 lb $32.50
          1 lb $65.00
          5 lbs (Bulk) $250.00

          Hope this helps,

          d.guffey

          I broke down and bought some Jacquard Carrageenan, which was really expensive. I did some research and found out that the seaweed from which it is made is becoming extremely, extremely scarce. A one pound bag now runs about $120 (I was fortunate and mine only cost $60).
          I have seen food grade carrageenan, one kind is kappa - the other iota, and it is only $30 a pound. I would like to know what others use for marbling besides the Irish Moss seaweed kind. I really can't keep up with a hobby that would cost as much as it currently is.

        • Nancy Akerly
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 6, 2012
            I can also highly recommend carrageenan and other marbling supplies ordered from Galen Berry at MarbleArt.us. His carrageenan costs $38 per pound. His paints, tools, etc are also reasonably priced. Plus his site is gorgeous, filled with patterns, instructions, and his instruction book is one of the best around. Here is his site:
            http://marbleart.us/MarblingSupplies.htm

            Good luck!
            Nancy Akerly
            Liberty Grove Paper Arts
            Sister Bay, WI

            Sent from my iPad
            Liberty Grove Paper Arts
            http://www.libertygrovepaperarts.com

          • George Reynolds
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 7, 2012
              I second the thumbs up for Galen Berry and his carrageenan. I have also had good luck with his Alum.
              George

              Sent from a distant corner of the galaxy.
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 7, 2012
                I sell carrageenan as well, and have a brand new batch if anyone wants fresh size.
                Iris Nevins
                www.marblingpaper.com