Golden OPEN versus Fluid Acrylics

  • jemiljan
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2012
      Just curious, but has anyone here tried using Golden's OPEN acrylics for paper and/or fabric marbling? If so, how do they compare to their Fluid Acrylics?

      Thanks!

      Jake Benson
    • carylhanc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2012
        Hi, Jake, et al,

        I have not tried them, but have a small sample tube somewhere. In a Golden demo I saw about a year ago, the demonstrator put lines of Heavy bodies, Fluids, and the Open on a canvas and periodically ran a craft stick (or perhaps her finger) through them. As you might expect, the fluids dried first, next the heavy bodies, finally the Opens, which were still smearing some 40+ minutes later. While this would solve the problem of some hues crazing, it would seem to require great care in handling papers after marbling, and certainly fabrics. I will be getting my trays out soon, and will post.

        Along the same vein, Pebeo has two new lines of acrylics out: Fantasy Moon and Fantasy Prism, that according to their literature give special effects. I have small sets of those as well, awaiting trail. Has anyone played with these?
        Best wishes for floating colors!
        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis