fix for scarves

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2012
      Gretchen, your comment came across as pretty negative.

      Maybe I shouldn't have said I didn't like my scarves, I'm just pickier
      than some people. The dyed ones came out well enough that I plan to keep
      doing them that way. My scarves sell very well and I wouldn't put any out
      that I thought were "ugly". I did fabric, but wasn't able to sell it, so I
      switched to scarves and have been doing them for about 5 years.

      Pre-dyed scarves are much more expensive to buy, which is why I dye my own
      as a separate offereing than marbling. This is the first time I have
      combined the two. The only ones I didn't have success with were the
      pre-dyed black ones. When I marbled them, you could barely see the
      marbling, so I had to hand paint them with metallic paints to sell them.
      Sue

    • Laura Sims
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2012
        I've enjoyed reading the discussion about marbling on fabric.  I have been pre-dyeing my scarves before marbling many years now and also love the combinations of color on color.  Though I used to dye with Procion MX dyes I now use acid dyes.  White vinegar or citric acid crystals provide the acid component.  Anyone interested can get  a good how-to sheet and acid dyes from Pro Chemical and Dye in MA or Dharma Trading in CA.   I too use over-marbling and just love it.

        Best to all,
        Laura
        www.indigostonestudio.com
        (click accessories or archives)

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2012
          By the way the pre dyed scarves I use at the moment I get at Exotic Silks. $3.85 I think is fairly reasonable. The lighter colors are best for me but depending on what you want the dark ones could work.
          George

          Sent from a distant corner of the galaxy.