Re: Digest Number 219, bubbling h/made papers

  • sixshort@yahoo.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2001
      Dear Tom, Thanks for your reply -very encouraging to hear of your
      success with handmade papers. The bubbling is not the same as
      cockling, which I hardly every get now, and I can usually lay my
      papers without any problems. The bubbles seem to come from air which
      is trapped deep in the fibers - when I put them under water, the
      bubbles actually float out, or some of them anyway. A bookbinder who
      gave me the papers to try out warned me about the possible problem.
      I have had no trouble with my own handmade paper, or with washi -
      Japanese kozo paper - just with the semi automated handmade paper,
      and with Indian handmade paper made from recycled cotton t-shirts.
      It may be residue from a bleach, or from caustic soda (a suggestion
      from my local chemist) still puzzled . . . Joan Ajala--- In