good fix for problem scarves

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 27, 2012
      Some of you may already have done this, but I had marbled some scarves that
      came out to pale and I figured i had nothing to lose, so I dyed them and
      they turned out great. I did some with Procion Dyes and I did some with
      Jacquard Silk Dye, green label in the microwave. I didn't have a huge
      amount of them. The other thing I've done is to overmarble them, but I had
      already put the scarf tank up.

      I have also done the reverse. Dyed some with Procion and didn't like them,
      so I marbled them and those turned out great also.

      Just passing it on,
      Sue

    • Lucila Nunes de Vargas
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2012
        Could you please share post photos in the group.
        thanks,
        Lucila

        ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 27, 2012
            Marbling takes practice period. Doing paper or fabric,glass or wood. Its figuring out your formula and working with it over and over. I think its a waste to work with scarves per say. Work with fabric, I have some I like more than others, I make those into different things. Trying to sell over done premade scarves is a waste of time and money. Don't get me wrong that peice you think is ugly someone else will love. But like a fine canvas artist its the quality not quantity...it takes practice practice practice with the formula that YOU work out,,, not all suggestions here are gonna work for everybody.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2012
              I have had fairly good success marbling scarves but its true that marbling pre dyed scarves works best. The one exception is 8mm Habotai which work well. Here is a link to some recent ones.

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/georger1998/sets/72157631561656091/

              George
              Sent from a distant corner of the galaxy.

            • Joan & Bob Newman

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 1, 2013
                  These are beautiful! I have discovered that 'full coverage' marbling on the silk like this does compromise the silkiness and sheen of the silk which I don't like. I posted in another thread about some new paints I'm going to try which are supposed to leave the fabric soft and shiny, but I don't know if it will lend itself to marbling all that well. It's worth a try. I'm moving away from doing scarves as well and focusing on larger stoles, shawls, furoshiki squares that are more versatile.