from Jake Benson

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21 5:14 PM
      > I have tried a number of handmade papers of
      different weights, some
      > machine-made "handmade", others Indian pure
      cotton, traditionally
      > handmade. When marbled with watercolour
      paints, all of these papers
      > form bubbles. The only partial success has
      occurred when Suminagashi,
      > with Buko Undo and Chinese black inks are used,
      and when Spanish
      > marbling technique is used. I have tried soaking
      the papers in hot
      > water before aluming, wet them with methylated
      apirits,and with
      > diluted "Morning Fresh" washing up detergent - all
      of these to
      > release the bubbles and allow the paper to be
      uniformly dampened.

      Any ideas? Thanks for all the feedback on
      finishing papers. I use
      > Colophon watercolor paints, and find that some of
      the colour is
      > removed if the papers are wet. I want my
      customers to get papers that
      > will stand up to some use and not be easily
      damaged ( for example,
      > when used to cover books) That is why I am
      asking questions about
      > finishes. Joan Ajala

      Sorry i haven't responded earlier, as my computer
      has been down with some bugs.

      As far as coating and polishing goes:

      It really depends on what you want to do with your
      papers.
      If you wish to use them as a cover for bookbinding, I
      recommend coating the papers.
      It helps to increase durability, and prevent surface
      abrasion in particular.
      An acrylic spray is useul as far as preventing
      smudging of the pigement. Even with the use of
      alum, some pigements are inherently friable, that is
      "smudgable".
      Examples of this are pigments like Ultramarine and
      carbon black, and mica particles. They are
      chemically very "flat", and therefore slide over each
      other. That's why graphite makes an excellent
      lubricant. An additional amount of binder can help
      prevent this. Irirs is quite right about the toxicity of the
      solvents used in these sprays- use outside with
      plaenty of ventilation- running a fan BEHIND you
      whole doing it will help improve the circulation.
      I would adivse obtaining a respirator if you plan to do
      this regularly. you should get it fit tested to your face
      by someone who is certified to do this. The money
      spent on a better respirator is worth it: it will be more
      comfortable, and will ensure that you are breathing
      NONE of the fumes.
      I have tried using the new Krylon "Low Odor" spray,
      made with primarily Isopropanol, but have been
      unhappy with the wierd, thick application that results.
      It is also made witha type of latex, so it will not age
      very well.

      If you really want a surface that is abrasion resistant
      though, you meed to apply a real coating.
      Traditionally this was done using hide glue and
      alum. this mixture has been knwon since ancient
      times, and was probably developed in China, where
      it is still used as a kind of waterproofing for paper.
      the Japanese refer to it as "Dosa".
      another variation is the mixture of egg white
      (albumin) and alum, used in the Islamic world. It is
      a type of what is called "ahar" in Persian , and "aher"
      in Modern Turkish.
      Ahar really is a wide range of substances used to
      help prepare the surface of paper. They often used
      starches, gums, and proteinaceous substances like
      the hide glue, parchement size (a purer form of hide
      glue), and albumin.
      The alum added to the protein hardens it chemically,
      and traditionally it was left to age for a year, during
      which time it would cross link chemically, forming a
      very hard and waterproof surface.
      This was developped by Islamic Scribes who used a
      reed pen instead of brush for writing. The pen would
      gracefully glide over the surface. It would also allow
      for corrections to be made- a cottom swab is
      dampened with saliva, applied to the calligraphy,
      and then removed, and then corrections made.

      Hide Glue (also gelatin) and alum was commonly
      used by marbled paper manufacturers in Europe as
      well. This is someties referred to as "external
      sizing". It was actually routinely dome to almonst all
      paper after the 17th century.
      After wards, a coating of beeswax was applied and
      then the paper was burnished with an agate or flint.
      You can see this depicted in the famous engraving
      from the "Encyclpedie Diderot et d'Alembert", which
      shows marblers at various stages of the process.
      They used in that instance a very large burnisher,
      mounted into a ceiling joist, which probably added
      greater pressure to the burnisher, rather than using
      your hadn, shoulders, and back.
      Wax helps to further seal the paper, and guard
      against surface abrasion.

      It is interesting to note, that while most Turkish
      marblers don't alum their paper prior to marbling, in
      fact, they didn't know that a healthy amount was
      already in the paper, added by the manufacturer.
      Most papers used in Turkey from about the late 16th
      century and onwards were imported form Europe.
      another aspect that remains unexplored is to what
      degreee that domestic paper production was
      modelled after European standards. In the 19th
      century at the Hamidiye mills in Beykoz, this was
      probably a very high probability.
      In the 19th century, the formula was switched to
      alum combined with rosin, a by product of wood
      pulp, which was used to make paper at that time.
      This combination of wood pulp for the cellulose, and
      a high concentration of aluma dn arosin is what
      makes so many 19th and 20th century papers so
      acidic, and brittle.
      Again, I note that most Turkish marblers used very
      cheap printing papers, which contained copious
      amounts of alum to begin with before marbling.
      Halfer also discusses how the trgacanth process
      doesn't require additional alum in his "Fortschrifte"

      Today, most paper and book conservators consider
      these substances to be acidic, and not suitable for
      materials used in conservation work.
      As a result, I researched some alternatives that
      could be used instead. I would alos note, that if you
      aren't pffering your papers to conservators, and want
      to use them for some ordinary craft purposes, there
      is really no probelm with using these techniques,
      which have been proven over time to give effective,
      albeit acidic results.
      One method is to use Methyl Cellulose. I prefer to
      use the cold water dispersabel grade, the same
      used by most marblers, but at a higher
      concentrtaion- 5%.
      after drying, I'll use "Renaissance wax", a blend of
      microcrystalline waxes. I have also previously
      mentioned "Dorland's Art Wax", which contains a
      blend of waxes and damar resin, resulting in a
      harder finish. Burnishing will certainly add to the
      polished effect. Alparslan's directions are the smae
      that I use.

      Soap is often used in place of Turkey, by
      contemporary calligraphers. They would go back
      and use a punce (fine pumice dust, I beleive) before
      commencing with the calligraphy. The pumice
      counter the wax, allowing the ink to adhere. It is
      interesting to note that much the same method was
      used in architectural drawings on "Chartex", a type of
      waxed linen. Architects would draw on this using
      "India Ink" which is a Western version of something
      very similar to the inks used by Islamic scribes-
      carbon black ina gum binder, though shellac was
      often added to the Western recipes. the Chartex was
      pounced before drawing, the same way
      calligraphers It is also mentioned in some of the old
      western manuals as well. In fact a method of adding
      "saponified wax" was developed and used in the
      19th cnetury. I think Woolnough mentions with, also
      Halfer and Louis Kinder at the Roycroft shop as well.
      Saponified wax was made by melting palin white
      soap and beeswax together.
      The mixture cooled, then hardened, and it was
      pulverized, and added to the marbling colors.
      You can observe this in some old papers, as the
      colors will look shinier than the plain paper areas.
      The burnisher has polished the wax in color.
      In the 19th century, a calendar machine was
      developed to polish paper.
      Two lightly heated rollers were driven by a motor,
      and one person passed the papers though to the
      other side, where another person caught them, and
      then they'd repeat this until the desired polish was
      reached.
      I also mentioned in a previous posting about the
      process of "gelatinizing" papers, which lent a
      super-shiny surface, and is similar to the way early
      photographic papers were made. This method was
      mentioned by Josef Hauptmann and Doeblinn in
      their manuals.
      Soap is made of an oil or tallow that has been
      treated with Caustic.
      If you use a soap, you should reme,ber that it is still
      highly water soluble, so it won't "seal" the paper the
      same way as a wax would. Also try and use the
      plainest, cleanest, fragrance and moisturizer-free
      soap- like Ivory. I admit that I have tried some
      sandalwood soap from India, which smelled lovely,
      but I wouldn't use an oily soap in conjunction with
      restoration. I'd advise staying away from it altogether
      if that is what you intend.

      So in short, you can use a fixative spray, but it will
      help smudging, not durability. It is toxic, and you
      should heed all the precautions.
      You can coat papers with an external sizing or
      glazing agent, and then enhance this witha light
      wax or soap application.
      All of the books that I have made which I have used
      this type of coating have held up very well.

      Now- the bubbling problem. I think the handmade
      papers you are using have a few problems. One is
      that the fibers may not be well beaten to begin with.
      Finely beaten fibers allow for an even distribution of
      pulp in the mold. Another factor may be that they
      haven't used enough "formation aid", or internal
      sizing to the pulp mixture. Much as external sizing
      that I mention above helps to seal the paper, an
      internal sizing helps to bind together all of the fibers.
      I have had this problem on occasion when using
      some Western handmades as well, but these are
      usually sold as "Second quality", and have obvious
      flaws- "paper maker's tears", thin areas, and
      creases.
      You may find that if you lightly size your paper prior to
      aluming, that this problem is avoided.
      the bubbling occurs due to the swelling of the fiber.
      If it is not properly bound to adjacent fibers, they
      won't swell together with the rest of the sheet, and so
      it will bubble upward. Humidifying your papers
      before aluming may also hep with this, as the paper
      will be fully relaxed, and prevent sudden swelling.
      Do this in a damp (NOT WET!, just spray some water
      one lightly) blotter pack, covered with plastic. Let it
      sit for a half hour or so. Sheck and see if the paper
      has relaxed. I'd saty away from the use of mineral
      spirits, as it is toxic, and the use of fabric softener, as
      it will probably cause problems with the marbling,
      not to mention age poorly.

      One final note- Iris recalled my demonstration at the
      Marbler's Gathering at savage Mill in '95. I was
      demonstrtating the Methyl Cellulose/microcrystalline
      wax method, and my friend Mohamed Zakaria was
      demonstrating the alum/ albumin method. He uses
      a saturated solution of alum in albumin, which
      menas he tries to add as much alum to it as it will
      hold. this makes for a very hard coating. My
      conservation sense led me to experiment, and I have
      found that up to 5% by volume of alum in in the
      albumin or gelatin is adequate for my purposes. It
      all depends on what you want to do with your
      papers....

      hope this illuminates the subject a little more. Let
      me know how it works out!

      Jake Benson

      --
      Benson's Hand Bindery
      Fine Bookbinding, Conservation, and Hand Marbled
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 22 8:36 AM
        Hi Jake (or is it Iris? - it is confusing to work out who actually
        sent the reply to my question) I am very happy to get such a long
        and erudite answer to my questions. The information is exactly what
        I have been searching for - thanks a million. It will take me days
        to absorb all the info, and then many more days to try it out! As for
        my market, I am on a search to find out where I am actually going.
        Up until now I have sold mostly A4 papers for craft, wedding
        invitation backings, and made cards, boxes, writing paper etc. to
        sell at craft markets, and lately I have sold A2 sheets to
        bookbinders for endsheets. My preference is to make and hopefully
        sell only marbled paper, not actually make items from it myself - so
        fiddly and time-consuming! So I am working hard at learning every
        aspect of the craft, and hoping to get to the "art" level
        eventually. It has been quite inspirational to read the questions
        and answers in this website, and exciting to get replies to my own
        questions. As we say in Australia "good on yer, mate" Best
        regards, Joan Ajala

        --- In Marbling@y..., irisnevins

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 22 9:06 AM
          Jake wrote the reply....he had trouble with his email and I forwarded it.
          He is an endless fountain of great information!

          i.n.