Re: [Marbling] Digest Number 219

  • leech541@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21 6:06 AM
      Dear Joan, I don't understand what you mean by "bubbling". I've marbled for
      15 years now, mostly on handmade paper, and haven't run into anything that
      would lead me to the corrective steps you described. If the problem is with
      air bubbles being trapped under the paper as you lay the sheet on the size,
      then that is another matter. After aluming, try placing your sheets between
      sheets of chipboard with just a little weight on top to keep the sheets flat.
      If ANY paper sits unrestrained after it is dampened (or alumed) it will
      almost always cockled.

      As for smudging, this is a problem inherent in watercolor marbling. A number
      of "fixes" have been discussed here, but long ago i switched to acrylics and
      have never worried about that particular problem again. Good luck.

      tom Leech
    • sixshort@yahoo.com.au
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22 7:59 AM
        Dear Tom, Thanks for your reply -very encouraging to hear of your
        success with handmade papers. The bubbling is not the same as
        cockling, which I hardly every get now, and I can usually lay my
        papers without any problems. The bubbles seem to come from air which
        is trapped deep in the fibers - when I put them under water, the
        bubbles actually float out, or some of them anyway. A bookbinder who
        gave me the papers to try out warned me about the possible problem.
        I have had no trouble with my own handmade paper, or with washi -
        Japanese kozo paper - just with the semi automated handmade paper,
        and with Indian handmade paper made from recycled cotton t-shirts.
        It may be residue from a bleach, or from caustic soda (a suggestion
        from my local chemist) still puzzled . . . Joan Ajala--- In