RE: [Marbling] Waxing papers

  • GULBAHAR ASIYE BABAOGLU
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 19, 2001
      Hi,

      Whatever technique or material you use, you don't need to put anything like wax on the paper. In traditional Turkish marbling, the marbled papers to be used in book-binding are finished with a tool called "muhre" which is made of flintstone. The flintstone (approx. 10 cm. long) is burried in a piece of wood with two handles alongside the flintstone. The edge of the flintstone which is pressed onto the paper must be sharp with an angle approx.120 degrees. We first apply an old dry soap using a piece of cloth onto the paper to be finished and then apply the flintstone. The whole process is carried out on a very flat wooden surface made of linden wood. When applying the flintstone or agate onto the paper, never hold or fix the paper.

      You can try agate instead of the flintstone but soap the paper before applying it. You can rub a piece of old thick cloth onto a piece of old and well dried soap and then rub this cloth gently to the entire surface of the marbled paper. When you apply flintstone or agate, never hold or fix the paper and press well onto the paper.

      Good luck,

      Alparslan

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 19, 2001
        I agree waxing is not necessary to polishing if one has the proper tools,
        it does let the burnisher glide easier though. Soap works just as well. But
        I think Joan was looking for a more protective coating in case of wetness.

        Jake Benson at one conference did a nice demo of Turkish paper polishing
        using egg white and alum, then burnishing. I still have the papers I did
        there.....it gave a really lovely soft shiny surface. Can't remember the
        proportions though, or even if I have all the materials
        right.....Jake....are you out there???

        IrisN.