Brazil

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2012
      If you have access to acrylic paints, can you get some matte medium? You
      can try adding that to your paints/inks. If the paper is colored, I have
      had better luck with hard surfaced paper, but I have no idea what you have
      there.

      I did not have good luck with Golden's carbon black. Because it is
      literally made from carbon or soot, it "bled" on the paper. Mars black or
      another black would probably be better.

      I would think the Jacquard inks would be too thin. Otherwise, have you
      tried oil base paints? They should have them there.
      Sue

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2012
        Good input Sue, but I need to say one thing... Lamp black itself, while Yes, it is made from soot, that is not what makes it bleed. The bleeding comes from how they manufacture the paint itself. I make my own brand of watercolor paints, and have also done acrylics in the past and had no such problem with lamp black, and have used it successfully for over three decades, zero bleeding. Keep in mind that Golden is likely not made with marblers in mind, but rather with painters, who make up a way larger customer base for them than we do.

        There is nothing wrong itself with lamp black used as a pigment. They are apparently not making it for the marbling process is all. Each paint manufacturer uses a different formula, and there is often a different formula for each pigment. Perhaps another brand then of acrylic will work for the lamp black. Often two brands can't mix compatibly however, due to different formulations, so I wouldn't try to mix them in the same tank. Lamp black itself is not the problem. There are many pigments not friendly to the marbling process (at least for watercolor) but Lamp Black has been used successfully for many centuries in marbling. Just my two cents.

        Iris Nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com