Ink & Gall article announcing identification of Mir 'Ali

  • jemiljan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2012
      Greetings everyone,

      I would like to ask those of you who have complete runs of Ink & Gall a question. Forgive me for asking this, but I am far away from my files back home. There is an article- or more like a "notice" or "announcement"- that published in either the journal, or possibly the newsletter, that desribes how calligraphy panels written by Mir 'Ali Haravi have been recently identified, which are older than the panel by Maliki Daylami that had been considered the oldest example until that time. It also notes how the origin of marbling may be in Central Asia rather than Iran.

      This may have actually been announced in one of the newsletters, and it was in about 1987; I recall seeing it, with a small black and white image of one of the panels. I've checked Phoebe Easton's bibliography, but this isn't specifically mentioned, though it appears that she didn't note the contents of the I&G newsletters.

      Come to think of it, it may have actually been mentioned an in an editorial by Polly Fox and/or Dexter Ing. If I recall correctly, it quotes the late Nüsret Hepgül, who identified the panels in the then-newly published book on Turkish calligraphy by Muammer Ülker, then director of the Süleymaniye Library in Istanbul. Or perhaps it reports a note from Hepgül? Something like that.

      The reason I ask is that I'm writing a short paragraph about what has been considered to be the oldest example of marbling in the Islamic world in my forthcoming paper for the Historians of Islamic Art Symposium in October. This brief notice is a key piece of information about the historiography of Islamic marbling that I would very much like to ensure is properly documented. So if any of you can provide the citation- or even a scan-, I would very much appreciate it. That said, I can order the requisite page through Interlibrary Loan with the full citation.

      Thanks in advance!

      Jake Benson