Re: Need Help / inks

  • Bill Colvard
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 5, 2012
      as terminology is a subject of foremost interest for me (we need to make
      sure that we mean the same thing when we use the same word or confusion
      will be even bigger as it is now): there is no such thing as oil inks.
      Either it's oil, or it's inks. Inks are aquaeous. So it's oil paints, or
      either inks. Precision is very helpful.

      Susanne,

      I admit I know very little about oils and nothing about ink but the
      ladies in the video, (Georgie Sharp and Melva Waterman) definitely say
      that they use "oil-based inks because they're brighter." I have watched
      closely but I can't see the brand.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OILOfT1bs&feature=g

      I again thank the people on this list who helped reconnect me to this
      video and these great marblers.

      I found at least one source for oil based inks

      http://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-oil-base-block-printing-inks/?clickTracking=true

      So I am confused now. Why can inks not be oil based? And what are these
      things being sold as oil-based inks? And most importantly, what are
      these great ladies using? Because I want to try it.

      Bill Colvard
    • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 7, 2012
        Bill,

        when you want to try marbling with oil based paints, just do it. What works for others doesn't necessarily work for you anyway (and vice versa), everyone needs to make their own experience. There are so many parameters to marbling, paints are only one of them and the manufacturer of paints just another. There is no universal-one-fits-for-all paint.

        That oil based paints are usually brighter does not depend on a certain brand.

        Susanne Krause