My color can float! New problems!

  • woshidaawu
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2012
      Thank you for your continued help!Thanks very much!
      I have amended the configuration of the carrageenan and diluted the PHOTO FLO.Now my color can float on the water.
      But now I have new problems.
      The outline of my color on the water isn't a circle.The edge is like tree branches.
      I continue to adjust the PHOTO FLO, but it dosen't improve.
      How should I fix it?
      Another question,If carrageenan smells sour, is it degenerate??

      liangzhen
    • Cynthia Eaton
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2012
        Congratulations on getting the color to float. Keep good records of what
        you did that made that happen. On to the next issue. There seems to always
        be more than one thing that can cause each problem. I once had a similar
        problem with some carrageenan size that I had frozen so I could save it.
        After thawing it, all of my work had edges that resembled feathers or
        branches. Actually I sometimes do this intentionally because the effect can
        be intriguing. I have never had carrageenan that developed a bad odor, that
        may be a problem, I am not sure. The branching you speak of is difficult to
        really know what you are describing, can you post a photograph of the
        problem? Some times a build up of alum on the size can create a broken
        look. Make sure you clean the size well between printings. Keep us updated
        on your progress. I wish you continued success. With regards, Cyndy
        On Aug 5, 2012 11:24 PM, "woshidaawu" <woshidaawu@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Thank you for your continued help!Thanks very much!
        > I have amended the configuration of the carrageenan and diluted the PHOTO
        > FLO.Now my color can float on the water.
        > But now I have new problems.
        > The outline of my color on the water isn't a circle.The edge is like tree
        > branches.
        > I continue to adjust the PHOTO FLO, but it dosen't improve.
        > How should I fix it?
        > Another question,If carrageenan smells sour, is it degenerate??
        >
        > liangzhen

      • George Reynolds
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2012
          Sorry for jumping into this conversation late but I want to mention that I have no problem getting Liquitex Paints to float - I do this by adding about 50% Golden Medium and then diluting with water till its about the consistency of whole milk (I tried it with Liqutex medium I simply could not get it to work as well). It works great. The behavior of the paint is temperature dependent I discovered recently. Normally I work in my basement which is around 65 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit but a few days ago did a demo outdoors with the temp around 90. The paint started to breakup in ways I have never seen. Back in my basement the last couple of days everything is back to normal. Anyway try the Golden Medium approach and see how it works. I have never used Photo Flo so I cant compare.
          George