Re: Your Message to Marbling

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2012
      dorroughk,

      you're right about oil in printer's ink. I have stumbled into a liguistic trap when writing my message. While in German your computer's printer works with Tinte/ink (which from obvious reasons is without oils), a printing machine – whether hand driven or power driven – is fed (oily) Druckfarbe/printing paint by the printer. Basic carelessness on my side, sorry.

      As to your question:

      > Hmm ... so maybe a fabric could be marbled with a dye stain, then
      > placed on an absorbent backing and sprinkled with more solvent to
      > selectively lighten or remove color? Does anyone do this?

      I'm using this principle on paper, looks good provided you're working at lightning speed.

      Susanne Krause
    • carylhanc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2012
        so maybe a fabric could be marbled with a dye stain, then
        placed on an absorbent backing and sprinkled with more solvent to
        selectively lighten or remove color? Does anyone do this?

        What an exciting question! As both a marbler and a dyer I have often wanted to combine those techniques. And suffice to say, there are several on-line lists where those questions could be posed:dyerslist-request@..., for one, and complexcloth@yahoogroups.com for another.

        One of the issues I have experienced is that many dyes for fabrics, either those activated with soda ash or an acid (vinegar or citric acid), dissolve in water, and so, dissolve in the substrate of either methylcellulose or carageenan. The oil based products (a pigment, and not a dye) will float and so can be used to marble. There are also chemicals that can be applied to the dyed material to remove the color - thiourea dioxide for one, or bleach for another; each has their strengths and cautions as far as effect on the fabric and the dyes used, and can be done selectively. I personally am not familiar with a dye that can be dissolved in a petroleum solvent.

        I know there are other dyers on this list who may have a more in-depth response than I.

        I hope they respond!
        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis