[Marbling] Waxing papers

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 19, 2001
      I generally do not finish my papers in any way, as I get hardly any
      offsetting or "rub-off" at all. If I want to polish them, I lightly glide a
      bar of parrafin wax (the kind for sealing jelly jars) over, or a candle can
      be used. Just enough to allow a burnisher to glide without tearing the
      papers.

      I use a small rectangular agate, about 2.5" X 3.5" and 1/4" thin, with
      rounded corners as a burnisher that fits in the palm of my hand. You rub
      this on a hard surface as hard as you can until you bring up a shine. I
      wouldn't do a whole sheet, just enough needed for the book or whatever.
      Very hard work.

      Iris Nevins
    • sixshort@yahoo.com.au
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 19, 2001
        -Thanksfor theinfo, Iris. Tonight (Australia time) I have been
        going through most of the messages for the past year, and found quite
        a few on polishing papers. What do you think about simply spraying
        the watercolor marbled papers with a matt spray? If the papers
        should accidently have contact with water, the spray seals them to
        prevent them bleeding. from Joan Ajala-- In Marbling@y..., irisnevins
        <irisnevins@c...> wrote:
        > I generally do not finish my papers in any way, as I get hardly any
        > offsetting or "rub-off" at all. If I want to polish them, I lightly
        glide a
        > bar of parrafin wax (the kind for sealing jelly jars) over, or a
        candle can
        > be used. Just enough to allow a burnisher to glide without tearing
        the
        > papers.
        >
        > I use a small rectangular agate, about 2.5" X 3.5" and 1/4" thin,
        with
        > rounded corners as a burnisher that fits in the palm of my hand.
        You rub
        > this on a hard surface as hard as you can until you bring up a
        shine. I
        > wouldn't do a whole sheet, just enough needed for the book or
        whatever.
        > Very hard work.
        >
        > Iris Nevins
      • IrisNevins
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 19, 2001
          Hi Joan...I don't know what materials you are using, but water should not
          make the colors "bleed', even if they are watercolors. The alum fixes them.
          They can be smudged when wet though.

          I would use a "non-workable" fixitive for any rub-off problems, but not
          sure if this seals them. I try not to use any of that....it is highly
          toxic. Use it outside if you do. The wax and burnisher method seals them
          pretyy well and they look nice with the hand polish. Sort of pre-1860's.

          i.n.
        • GULBAHAR ASIYE BABAOGLU
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 19, 2001
            Hi,

            Whatever technique or material you use, you don't need to put anything like wax on the paper. In traditional Turkish marbling, the marbled papers to be used in book-binding are finished with a tool called "muhre" which is made of flintstone. The flintstone (approx. 10 cm. long) is burried in a piece of wood with two handles alongside the flintstone. The edge of the flintstone which is pressed onto the paper must be sharp with an angle approx.120 degrees. We first apply an old dry soap using a piece of cloth onto the paper to be finished and then apply the flintstone. The whole process is carried out on a very flat wooden surface made of linden wood. When applying the flintstone or agate onto the paper, never hold or fix the paper.

            You can try agate instead of the flintstone but soap the paper before applying it. You can rub a piece of old thick cloth onto a piece of old and well dried soap and then rub this cloth gently to the entire surface of the marbled paper. When you apply flintstone or agate, never hold or fix the paper and press well onto the paper.

            Good luck,

            Alparslan

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 19, 2001
              I agree waxing is not necessary to polishing if one has the proper tools,
              it does let the burnisher glide easier though. Soap works just as well. But
              I think Joan was looking for a more protective coating in case of wetness.

              Jake Benson at one conference did a nice demo of Turkish paper polishing
              using egg white and alum, then burnishing. I still have the papers I did
              there.....it gave a really lovely soft shiny surface. Can't remember the
              proportions though, or even if I have all the materials
              right.....Jake....are you out there???

              IrisN.