need help

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2012
      The only thing I can think of is that you may be trying to do too many
      experiments at once. Back off, and do one thing, see how it works, clean
      the tank, then try the next thing. I describe the consistency of the
      carageenan or methyl cel as a little thinner than pancake syrup or like
      thinned down hair shampoo, if that helps. If the gel is too thin, the
      paint could sink also.

      These are my notes to myself about mixing the Carageen Gum (cg):

      *Carageen Gum (bought from Diane Maurer):*

      * *

      *Use distilled water and a blender. Add some water to blender, turn it on
      low, add CG 1 Tbsp at a time to the water, add more water when it thickens,
      pour into the container. Repeat, then put rest of water into blender to
      clean the leftover from the blender, add rest of water to make a gallon
      total. until you have mixed 2 tablespoons to a gallon of water. Let set
      over night to get rid of the bubbles.*

      * *

      *Nowadays, I just use tap water instead of distilled water. So in other
      words, I fill the blender about half full, add 1 Tablespoon of the CG to it
      and blend - it will thicken immediately. Then I add more water so the
      blender doesn't bog down, then pour it into my gallon jar, then repeat. I
      don't pay that much attention to the temperature of it, I would guess it's
      room temperature.*

      If you get too much dispersant, whether it's photo flo or ox bile or
      whatever, that can make the paint sink also. You only need about a half
      teaspoon of the dispersant to 4 ounces of water. If you're using it
      straight, that can cause problems as well. I thought Galen Berry's paints
      were pre-mixed and didn't need dispersants.

      This is a good demo and you can see how thin her paint is:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e6RM-KxR28&feature=g-hist

      Try just using paint and water only at first. Also, different pigments,
      like thalo blue have a dispersant in them already, so they will spread way
      more than others. Until you get used to them, you might want to keep notes
      about which ones spread and which ones don't.

      Also, like Iris and others have said, sometimes, it's "the time of the
      moon" could be things like humidity and temperature causing problems.

      Good Luck,
      Sue Cole
      Fairbanks, Alaska