preparing the size

  • D or Jer Guffey
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2012
      Just to prove we all do what works best for us, I mix my caragheean first thing in the morning with cool tap water and an emersion blender. By the time I've set up my table, mixed my paints and get out all of my rakes and combs, the size is ready to marble. The emersion (hand held) blender removes all the lumps. My only problem is waiting for my garage to warm up to 60 degrees F. before marbling. If my paint is sinking, it is because the area is too cool. I make the size slightly thicker than needed so I can add some hot water to the bath to bring it to the right consistency and also helps with my cooler working area.

      d.guffey

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
        All rules fly out the window when marbling. We all work differently. I too make mine a little thick, it is easy to add water if needed. Too thin, you are stuck. I do have an immersion blender I can try too with cold water, just curious. The fresher the size, I find it works better. I like marbling in 60 degrees, the colors are so crisp and bright, the size stays nice too. What was best about my early AM size making (hot water) and about an hour or two later marbling, was you don't have that issue of wanting to marble one day but thinking....drat I have to wait 24 hours. When I do wait overnight, I kind of haphazardly dump 4 heaped TBS. into a two quart blender, whiz it up, it has some lumps still. Then dump into a bucket, add three more blender containerfuls of hot water, stir and forget it. No lumps in the AM.

        Having never been taught to marble, and there were barely any books out ( I was given a xerox of Rosamond Loring's book, and the Dryad Leaflet) and no such thing as the web yet, I just winged it. Boiling seaweed, making a mess. Just lots of guesswork until things worked. The first marbler I ever met was Faith Harrison. She and I and Don Guyot, Chris Weimann, a handful of others were included in the book American Decorative Papermakers in the early 80s. Some of us, myself included, had no idea there were other marblers out there before that book was out. All of us self taught, we had very different ways of working. I remember Faith coming to my house for a few days back then and we marbled. She said..."You can't marble like that!!". So I showed her I could. We then adopted lots of ideas from each other. I said one morning...LET'S MARBLE.... and whizzed up the size and went to skim an hour later, it was still warm.... she was floored that it worked so well.

        When I had a smaller house, and rented a studio space in town years back, since I didn't feel like running in every day, I had a helper who was great at size making. She'd go in and alum on Thursday. for me, dry the papers, go in Friday, take them down and stack them. Then make a size concentrate and leave in the fridge til Monday when I would come in and marble Mon. - Wed. She'd have numerous milk containers full of concentrate, I'd take one each AM and add hot water and go marble. It lasted up to a week in the fridge, sometimes longer, I'd leave it go to another week at times when I was less busy. back then I was marbling 200-300 sheets a week, selling all of it, but the economy has put an end to all that! There are way fewer small presses selling expensive limited run books these days, but I still work for many smaller hand bookbinders, doing many restoration style papers, which is my real love. I enjoy marbling more this way really. I was a machine before, truly, making hundreds of the same paper over and over.
        Iris Nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com

        On 08/01/12, D or Jer Guffey<dguff@...> wrote:

> [...]

        blender for 60 seconds. I do this by mixing about 30% of the water with the
        22 cc carrageenan, then after that is well blended I combine it with the
        remaining water. then let it sit at room temperature for 24 hours.

        I think it is important to let the carrageenan age for 24 hours so each
        particle absorbs the maximum amount if water possible. The size should be
        smooth with no lumps, it will be thin and pour easily.

        Good luck.

        On Jul 31, 2012 6:44 PM, "woshidaawu" <woshidaawu@...> wrote:

        > In the past few days, I was so busy that have no time on the Internet.I
        continue to do experiment under the help of everyone.But I failed again.I
        decided to reconfigure the carrageenan.Determine the the carrageenan
        correct first, and then study the color.
        > 20cc Carrageenan+1200ml water �� Stir �� +500ml �� Stir �� Put it in the

      • Lucila Nunes de Vargas
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
          Can´t it be the water quality? I noticed when I use rain water, in my case with methocell it works better than tap water.

          ________________________________
          De: woshidaawu <woshidaawu@...>
          Para: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
          Enviadas: Terça-feira, 31 de Julho de 2012 23:27
          Assunto: [Marbling] Re: My question

          Thank you for your advice.I'm going to do the experiment immediately
          .I diluted the paint with water.How to determine the concentration of milk? By experience?

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2012
            Can be anything! When i collected rain water, and compared, the hard tap water was better, with carrageenan anyway. It may not be so for everyone!
            Iris Nevins
            www.marblingpaper.com

            De: woshidaawu <woshidaawu@...>
            Para: Marbling@yahoogroups.com