Waxing papers

  • sixshort@yahoo.com.au
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 19, 2001
      Have searched this site for the first time, thanks Iris for the
      website address! Fascinating to read all the questions and answers.
      Greetings to all from "down under". My question: how do people
      finish their watercolor marbling? I usually spray the papers with a
      commercial finishing spray, but would like to try waxing with beeswax
      softened with gum turpentine. Unfortunately, when I tried it, much
      of the paint was removed with the polish. Any ideas? from Joan
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 19, 2001
        I generally do not finish my papers in any way, as I get hardly any
        offsetting or "rub-off" at all. If I want to polish them, I lightly glide a
        bar of parrafin wax (the kind for sealing jelly jars) over, or a candle can
        be used. Just enough to allow a burnisher to glide without tearing the
        papers.

        I use a small rectangular agate, about 2.5" X 3.5" and 1/4" thin, with
        rounded corners as a burnisher that fits in the palm of my hand. You rub
        this on a hard surface as hard as you can until you bring up a shine. I
        wouldn't do a whole sheet, just enough needed for the book or whatever.
        Very hard work.

        Iris Nevins
      • sixshort@yahoo.com.au
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 19, 2001
          -Thanksfor theinfo, Iris. Tonight (Australia time) I have been
          going through most of the messages for the past year, and found quite
          a few on polishing papers. What do you think about simply spraying
          the watercolor marbled papers with a matt spray? If the papers
          should accidently have contact with water, the spray seals them to
          prevent them bleeding. from Joan Ajala-- In Marbling@y..., irisnevins
          <irisnevins@c...> wrote:
          > I generally do not finish my papers in any way, as I get hardly any
          > offsetting or "rub-off" at all. If I want to polish them, I lightly
          glide a
          > bar of parrafin wax (the kind for sealing jelly jars) over, or a
          candle can
          > be used. Just enough to allow a burnisher to glide without tearing
          the
          > papers.
          >
          > I use a small rectangular agate, about 2.5" X 3.5" and 1/4" thin,
          with
          > rounded corners as a burnisher that fits in the palm of my hand.
          You rub
          > this on a hard surface as hard as you can until you bring up a
          shine. I
          > wouldn't do a whole sheet, just enough needed for the book or
          whatever.
          > Very hard work.
          >
          > Iris Nevins
        • IrisNevins
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 19, 2001
            Hi Joan...I don't know what materials you are using, but water should not
            make the colors "bleed', even if they are watercolors. The alum fixes them.
            They can be smudged when wet though.

            I would use a "non-workable" fixitive for any rub-off problems, but not
            sure if this seals them. I try not to use any of that....it is highly
            toxic. Use it outside if you do. The wax and burnisher method seals them
            pretyy well and they look nice with the hand polish. Sort of pre-1860's.

            i.n.
          • GULBAHAR ASIYE BABAOGLU
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 19, 2001
              Hi,

              Whatever technique or material you use, you don't need to put anything like wax on the paper. In traditional Turkish marbling, the marbled papers to be used in book-binding are finished with a tool called "muhre" which is made of flintstone. The flintstone (approx. 10 cm. long) is burried in a piece of wood with two handles alongside the flintstone. The edge of the flintstone which is pressed onto the paper must be sharp with an angle approx.120 degrees. We first apply an old dry soap using a piece of cloth onto the paper to be finished and then apply the flintstone. The whole process is carried out on a very flat wooden surface made of linden wood. When applying the flintstone or agate onto the paper, never hold or fix the paper.

              You can try agate instead of the flintstone but soap the paper before applying it. You can rub a piece of old thick cloth onto a piece of old and well dried soap and then rub this cloth gently to the entire surface of the marbled paper. When you apply flintstone or agate, never hold or fix the paper and press well onto the paper.

              Good luck,

              Alparslan

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 19, 2001
                I agree waxing is not necessary to polishing if one has the proper tools,
                it does let the burnisher glide easier though. Soap works just as well. But
                I think Joan was looking for a more protective coating in case of wetness.

                Jake Benson at one conference did a nice demo of Turkish paper polishing
                using egg white and alum, then burnishing. I still have the papers I did
                there.....it gave a really lovely soft shiny surface. Can't remember the
                proportions though, or even if I have all the materials
                right.....Jake....are you out there???

                IrisN.