Re: [Marbling] Re: Need Help

  • Nancy Akerly
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 31, 2012
      If Pat Thomas is your teacher, you will have a terrific time. Seems everyone who learns from her is pleased. Have a great class!

      Sent from my iPad
      Liberty Grove Paper Arts
      http://www.libertygrovepaperarts.com

      On Jul 31, 2012, at 1:00 PM, "www.anywhere-weddings.com" <ktpup@...> wrote:

      > I LOVE this video!
      >
      > I'm so excited to be taking my first ever marbling class next week in Dayton, OH at Marco's Paper! I'll let you all know how it goes!
      >
      > Linda Stevenson

    • Bill Colvard
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 4, 2012
        Thanks Roz,

        That IS it! I can't tell you how I have searched in vain for that
        video. My hat is off to you. I have "liked" it on youtube and bookmarked
        the link so maybe I won't lose it again. I'm going now to rewatch it and
        try to see what kind of oil inks they use. They don't say but you can
        see the tubes in the video.

        Thanks again!
        Bill Colvard
      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 5, 2012
          Bill,

          as terminology is a subject of foremost interest for me (we need to make sure that we mean the same thing when we use the same word or confusion will be even bigger as it is now): there is no such thing as oil inks. Either it's oil, or it's inks. Inks are aquaeous. So it's oil paints, or either inks. Precision is very helpful.

          German differentiates even further: Tinte (without a binder, ink) and Tusche (with a binder, Indian ink).

          Susanne Krause
        • Bill Colvard
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 5, 2012
            as terminology is a subject of foremost interest for me (we need to make
            sure that we mean the same thing when we use the same word or confusion
            will be even bigger as it is now): there is no such thing as oil inks.
            Either it's oil, or it's inks. Inks are aquaeous. So it's oil paints, or
            either inks. Precision is very helpful.

            Susanne,

            I admit I know very little about oils and nothing about ink but the
            ladies in the video, (Georgie Sharp and Melva Waterman) definitely say
            that they use "oil-based inks because they're brighter." I have watched
            closely but I can't see the brand.

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OILOfT1bs&feature=g

            I again thank the people on this list who helped reconnect me to this
            video and these great marblers.

            I found at least one source for oil based inks

            http://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-oil-base-block-printing-inks/?clickTracking=true

            So I am confused now. Why can inks not be oil based? And what are these
            things being sold as oil-based inks? And most importantly, what are
            these great ladies using? Because I want to try it.

            Bill Colvard
          • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 7, 2012
              Bill,

              when you want to try marbling with oil based paints, just do it. What works for others doesn't necessarily work for you anyway (and vice versa), everyone needs to make their own experience. There are so many parameters to marbling, paints are only one of them and the manufacturer of paints just another. There is no universal-one-fits-for-all paint.

              That oil based paints are usually brighter does not depend on a certain brand.

              Susanne Krause