Re: [Marbling] Re: Need Help

  • Roz Macken
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 31, 2012
      Bill, here's the link to the video to which I think you refer. See the 2nd
      link. Roz Macken, PA

    • www.anywhere-weddings.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 31, 2012
        I LOVE this video!

        I'm so excited to be taking my first ever marbling class next week in Dayton, OH at Marco's Paper! I'll let you all know how it goes!

        Linda Stevenson
      • Nancy Akerly
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 31, 2012
          If Pat Thomas is your teacher, you will have a terrific time. Seems everyone who learns from her is pleased. Have a great class!

          Sent from my iPad
          Liberty Grove Paper Arts
          http://www.libertygrovepaperarts.com

          On Jul 31, 2012, at 1:00 PM, "www.anywhere-weddings.com" <ktpup@...> wrote:

          > I LOVE this video!
          >
          > I'm so excited to be taking my first ever marbling class next week in Dayton, OH at Marco's Paper! I'll let you all know how it goes!
          >
          > Linda Stevenson

        • Bill Colvard
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 4, 2012
            Thanks Roz,

            That IS it! I can't tell you how I have searched in vain for that
            video. My hat is off to you. I have "liked" it on youtube and bookmarked
            the link so maybe I won't lose it again. I'm going now to rewatch it and
            try to see what kind of oil inks they use. They don't say but you can
            see the tubes in the video.

            Thanks again!
            Bill Colvard
          • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 5, 2012
              Bill,

              as terminology is a subject of foremost interest for me (we need to make sure that we mean the same thing when we use the same word or confusion will be even bigger as it is now): there is no such thing as oil inks. Either it's oil, or it's inks. Inks are aquaeous. So it's oil paints, or either inks. Precision is very helpful.

              German differentiates even further: Tinte (without a binder, ink) and Tusche (with a binder, Indian ink).

              Susanne Krause
            • Bill Colvard
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 5, 2012
                as terminology is a subject of foremost interest for me (we need to make
                sure that we mean the same thing when we use the same word or confusion
                will be even bigger as it is now): there is no such thing as oil inks.
                Either it's oil, or it's inks. Inks are aquaeous. So it's oil paints, or
                either inks. Precision is very helpful.

                Susanne,

                I admit I know very little about oils and nothing about ink but the
                ladies in the video, (Georgie Sharp and Melva Waterman) definitely say
                that they use "oil-based inks because they're brighter." I have watched
                closely but I can't see the brand.

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OILOfT1bs&feature=g

                I again thank the people on this list who helped reconnect me to this
                video and these great marblers.

                I found at least one source for oil based inks

                http://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-oil-base-block-printing-inks/?clickTracking=true

                So I am confused now. Why can inks not be oil based? And what are these
                things being sold as oil-based inks? And most importantly, what are
                these great ladies using? Because I want to try it.

                Bill Colvard
              • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 7, 2012
                  Bill,

                  when you want to try marbling with oil based paints, just do it. What works for others doesn't necessarily work for you anyway (and vice versa), everyone needs to make their own experience. There are so many parameters to marbling, paints are only one of them and the manufacturer of paints just another. There is no universal-one-fits-for-all paint.

                  That oil based paints are usually brighter does not depend on a certain brand.

                  Susanne Krause