Re: [Marbling] Buffered or unbuffered mats...does it matter?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2012
      I wouldn't worry about it in the least. If you see no ill effects don't worry. I have papers I marbled 34 years ago that were not buffered not acid free, and there is still no problem, even the ones I bound onto books, covers and end leaves. For decades now the papers we use are washed free of lignins, which is one of the main things that will rot paper. There are papers from the 1400s still intact and the read acidic, so some conservator friends have said.

      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com

      On 06/18/12, Barb<blskoog@...> wrote:

      Hi All,

      I know there is always an interesting conversation about buffered vs. unbuffered PAPER when it comes to marbling but my question has to do with MATBOARD...the stuff used to frame marbled papers with.

      Once a paper is marbled, does it matter if my matboard is unbuffered or not? I have been using both and haven't seen a difference but then again, my oldest framed piece is only 5 years! I'm not looking to ensure my pieces will last a billion years...only that there is no paint transfer or obvious signs of degradation in the next 20 years. Also note that I do not treat my final papers with anything like a finish.

      I have been told that unbuffered mats are best for things like textiles, dye transfers, and albumen prints whereas buffered is fine for things like black & white prints. I'm just not sure where marbled paper fits into those scenarios.

      Many thanks in advance for your advice,
      Barb Skoog
      www.BarbSkoog.com