Looking for professional marbling artists

  • Cor Knops
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2000
      Hello,

      My name is Cor Knops (book- and paperrestorer) and I'm looking
      for people who are capable of making marbled papers using
      historical examples. Colors and design should resemble the old
      papers as much as possible, as well as the paper which is marbled
      on (handmade with verg´┐Ż).

      I know it is a very difficult job to do but still....... If you are
      interested please have a look at a special webpage I created to
      show you what I mean. 15 clippings of old papers are scanned to
      give you an impression of the range of colors I mean.

      http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops/marmers.htm

      Also if you should know somebody who can (if you can't do it
      yourself) I would be very happy to hear from you.

      Thanks,

      Cor Knops.

      Knops Boekrestauratie
      Conservation & Restoration of Books and Paper
      Groenstraat 8
      6151 CS Munstergeleen Netherlands
      phone +31 (0)46 4200024
      fax +31 (0)46 4110180
      email boekrestauratie@...
      www http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops/
    • IrisNevins
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2000
        Hi Cor.....

        I have gone to your web site and hoped there was an option to e-mail you
        privately, but it only sent on the form. I had wanted to discuss further
        the limitations on reproducing early papers. The main one is that they will
        look fresh and new. Sometimes the colorations will be a bit different as
        well. You can read a little about it at my web-page which is linked at the
        marbling list. If you wish you can e-mail for my catalog and jpeg samples
        from there.

        My main work is doing the old looking papers, and can do all of the
        patterns, though I have had trouble getting the brown spot patterns as dark
        as your examples. The Spanish ones are generally no problem, the early
        combed ones, the pale blues, red/pinks, on white laid paper are possible,
        but they tend to have more of a pastel look when brand new. Some binders
        run them through a tea or coffee tank to "age" them.

        Where possible I make my paints with pigments used hundreds of years ago,
        but some pigments were either mined out or are considered too dangerous
        nowadays. You can mix close colors from other pigments, but they may not
        react chemically as the old ones did. The common Victorian papers with lots
        of red.....we can make the same shade of red but it doesn't act the same,
        so it's sometimes hard to get the dense overall coverage. Marbling is not
        so much an art as it is a chemical process sometimes! One must spend many
        years learning the chemical and physical properties of each pigment, and
        how they react towards each other. For that reason...there is no simple
        marbling paint "formula". Each pigment is treated differently always having
        to keep in mind how it will react to another one. And unfortunately most
        pigments are not "marbling friendly". So we are stuck with a small handful
        of those that work well with the process, and mix other colors from these
        as best we can. It is definitely not the fun part of marbling.

        I use a slightly off white paper that has a slight linen finish to it....to
        mimic the effects of oxidation for several hundred years. This helps them
        to look a little older. Or I may use a white laid stock on some of the
        above described early combed (Dutch, they often called them) papers.

        If you want further information, contact me, and I can always send some
        jpeg examples of what I have in stock that reproduces many early papers. My
        focus tends to be the papers prior to 1860, when marbling machines came
        into use. They seemed to have killed off that beautiful early look.

        Best,
        Iris Nevins
      • J Dolphin
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2000
          This is certainly a tall order I would think. They are certainly
          handsome papers. I'd be interested in the list members voicing their
          opinions on just how you would go about this and if anyone will take on this
          job. I even have to ask--what type of contract would you be setting up with
          them.
          Out of curiousity--WHAT type of paper is holding those beautiful colours
          together?
          Jill