Suminagashi inks question

  • lizzie5345568
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2012
      Hello,
      I have just rediscovered marbling and suminagashi which I used to do as a child, and am struggling to work out the best equipment to use - this is the most informative website I've been able to find, so hopefully somebody will be able to help me out!
      Basically my query is about whether you can use all marbling inks *without* thickener, or if some will just not work.

      I did some marbling last week with a cheap set of inks a friend had bought - "Marabu easy marbling" - which were great because you didn't need to prepare the paper, or prepare the water with thickening agent, and also because you could mix the colours in advance to get different shades.
      However I think Marabu is really just a toy set, and when I tried to find some better quality / larger bottles of ink, things got a bit confusing.
      I think my mother used to use Pebeo marbling inks (just because I recognise the bottle!) but we did suminagashi, so I'm sure we didn't use a thickening agent. My confusion is because all the Pebeo instructions say that you *need* to use thickener. Is this true?
      There seem to be very few inks marketed specifically for suminagashi, so, is it possible to use Pebeo (or any other marbling inks you might recommend!) without thickener, in order to do suminagashi techniques? Or will these inks not float properly in water without thickener? It would be great to have one ink that I could use for both types of marbling, but I don't know if this is possible!

      Sorry for the long question - I'm a bit too confused to know which information to prioritise!
      If anyone could recommend some good affordable inks, and equally if anyone could explain the function of thickening agent (is it necessary in order for the ink to float, or does it just slow down the spread of ink and make different techniques possible) I would really appreciate it!

      Thanks a lot
      Lizzie
    • angchengsiew
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2012