Re: New Book: DER VOLLKOMMNE PAPIERFÄRBER: THE ACCOMPLISHED PAPER COLORER.

  • anthonianthonianthoni
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31 11:38 AM
      Dear sir:
      I have a copy of this little book, and the short answer is..... No.
      For a start, despite the fact that the book's longest section is on marbling, it's instructions are very vague, and only describe the making of the simplest of patterns ( the famous combed marbles aren't even described! ). Secondly, many of the methods and ingredients are -severely- outdated. For example, hardly anyone marbles on tragacanth anymore , and likewise , the colours used are not only troublesome to prepare, but some of them outright dangerous ( the blue calls for indigo and .... Sulfuric acid)

      However,you can use natural pigments for marbling. The thing is,that some of them tend to be very expensive (carmine ), and others not lightfast. However, the earth colours, like ochre are not only cheap , but are very lightfast . They were used in the 18thc. , and I still use them today with much success.

      Best wishes:

      Anthony