Bookbinding/Marbling Question

  • kumqtmay@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2012
      Have a query for marblers who also happen to be bookbinders. Used Fabriano & Canson Mi Tientes art papers marbled with Golden acrylics on a carragheenan size for hard-bound book covers. Do the covers need to be sealed, sprayed, waxed or treated in any way? Tried scratching off the marbled pattern & it didn't budge.
      Thanks!

      Creatively,
      Pat K. Thomas
      Facebook.com/seenmymarbles?
    • Paul Henry
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2012
        Pat,
        Sometimes I seal my papers, sometimes I don't. If I know that the
        book is going to have hard use I would definately give them a light
        spray of a sealer, it does depend on so many things it's hard to give
        a definate answer, but if in doubt I think I would!

        Paul
        www.paulhenrydesign.com

        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2012
          That is up to the bookbinder. I think most don't do it. When I was studying bookbinding, I preferred to lightly wax, with a lightest coat of paraffin, then burnish with an agate, to bring up a shine. for the outside papers, and if I felt like breaking my arm further (ha ha...it is hard work, but worth it!) further, the inside sheets too. I would never bother doing it for a whole sheet, but just for the pieces cut to size for the book, just simpler.

          Iris Nevins
          www.marblingpaper.com

          On 05/10/12, kumqtmay@...<seenmymarbles@...> wrote:

          Have a query for marblers who also happen to be bookbinders. Used Fabriano & Canson Mi Tientes art papers marbled with Golden acrylics on a carragheenan size for hard-bound book covers. Do the covers need to be sealed, sprayed, waxed or treated in any way? Tried scratching off the marbled pattern & it didn't budge.
          Thanks!

          Creatively,
          Pat K. Thomas
          Facebook.com/seenmymarbles?

        • dima cristian
          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2012
            I've tried something like this using shellac. Paper resist better to friction but gives a reddish tent
            Chris

            Message 5 of 5 , May 12, 2012
              Chris-

              shellac comes in several hues, so the reddish tone can be avoided. But the real problem with shellac is that it's hygroscopic. I'd think twice before using it in conservation.

              Susanne Krause