Re: [Marbling] Oil colors

  • Cynthia Eaton
    Message 1 of 10 , May 8, 2012
      Galen Berry's site is marbleart.com

    • D or Jer Guffey
      Message 2 of 10 , May 8, 2012
        Chris,

        There is only one advantage to marbling with oil vs water color or acrylics... and that is you don't have to alum your papers before marbling. Keep in mind that oil paints need to be thinned with paint thinner (or turpentine) which is somewhat toxic. Oil paints permeate the paper (the colors will bleed to the back of the paper) so they do not make good end sheets. When marbling with water colors or acrylics you need to alum the paper first; the colors bond with the alum and are on the surface of the paper (they do not bleed through to the back). There is no way you can replicate traditional marbled patterns with oils as you cannot get the fine lines needed for combing and manipulating the colors.

        There are a number of "how-to" books on marbling...some better than others. Perhaps you can get some through library loans rather than purchasing them. There are two DVD's that demonstrate marbling: "Experience the Magic of Marbling" by Mimi & Patty Schleicher (www.marbling.com) and "Mastering Marbling" by Peggy Skycraft. Whether or not these are still available, you would have to contact them.

        Welcome to the world of marbling. (When I started in 1976 the only way to learn was from another marbler, now there are numerous tutorials on the internet and you can spend hours looking at them. Needless to say, some are better than others).

        d.guffey

        Message 3 of 10 , May 9, 2012
          And, Chris, be prepared for years and years of learning (and cost, and binning, and reconsidering, and joy, and disappointment, and wonder) before even thinking of employing your papers for conservation work.

          Susanne Krause
        • Thomas D' Aquin
          Message 4 of 10 , May 25, 2012
            hello anne, se nd me your s nail mail address a nd I will sen d youj some sa mplesof oil marbli ng. I dontknow hbow to se nd poctures by email, but yhou willfind ny oil marbling somewhat different tha n otheres. tomas viava nt

            To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
            From: mypeonies@...
            Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 10:16:42 -0400
            Subject: [Marbling] Re: Oil colors

            Welcome Chris. I am planning to try marbling paper and fabric using oil

            colours and am wondering if it will work.

            Anne

          • Thomas D' Aquin
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012
              hello anne, I have bee3n marbling with oil colors for 50 years. I dont kn ow how to put my marblings on
              the net. but if you will send me your snsil mail address, I will send you some laser prints of my marblings.
              sincerly, Tomas Viavant. oilonwater@...

              To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
              From: mypeonies@...
              Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 10:16:42 -0400