Re: [Marbling] Oil colors

  • John Pratt
    Message 1 of 10 , May 8, 2012
      Chris,
      You will be inundated with suggestions. I use Utrect acrylics per
      Galen Barry. Galen gives classes and has a small instruction
      manual which you probably can purchase, check his website, the
      address I can't remember {I'm in Ireland at present, due to return to
      the states later this month. Others have had good results with
      Golden, I have wanted to try gouache, opaque watercolors, they give a
      different result from acrylics. Contact Iris Nevins for
      information on gouache.

      John

      ---
      On May 8, 2012, at 3:14 PM, dima cristian wrote:

      > Dear marblers,
      > My name is Chris, I'm book restorer and beginner in marbling. I
      > have started with paper marbling using oil colors, but I didn't
      > got so good results and besides of that, it takes a long time to
      > dry. I don't know if I did it right to start with oil colors...
      > What kind of colors should I use for beginning?
      >
      > Regards, Chris

    • dima cristian
      Message 2 of 10 , May 8, 2012
        Thank you all! It' not a problem! I need suggestions because I want to learn and understand this art.

        > Galen Barry.     Galen gives classes and
        > has a small instruction
        > manual which you probably can purchase, check his website,
        > the
        > address I can't remember {I'm in Ireland at present, due to
        > return to
        > the states later this month.     Others
        > have had good results with
        > Golden, I have wanted to try gouache, opaque watercolors,
        > they give a
        > different result from acrylics.
        >    Contact Iris Nevins for
        > information on gouache.
        >
        > John

        > ---
        > On May 8, 2012, at 3:14 PM, dima cristian wrote:
        >
        > > Dear marblers,
        > > My name is Chris, I'm book restorer and beginner in
        > marbling. I
        > > have started with paper marbling using  oil
        > colors, but I didn't
        > > got  so good  results and besides of that, it
        > takes a long time to
        > > dry. I don't know if I did it right to start with oil
        > colors...
        > > What kind of colors should I use for beginning?
        > >
        > > Regards, Chris

        >     Marbling-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Cynthia Eaton
        Message 3 of 10 , May 8, 2012
          Galen Berry's site is marbleart.com

        • D or Jer Guffey
          Message 4 of 10 , May 8, 2012
            Chris,

            There is only one advantage to marbling with oil vs water color or acrylics... and that is you don't have to alum your papers before marbling. Keep in mind that oil paints need to be thinned with paint thinner (or turpentine) which is somewhat toxic. Oil paints permeate the paper (the colors will bleed to the back of the paper) so they do not make good end sheets. When marbling with water colors or acrylics you need to alum the paper first; the colors bond with the alum and are on the surface of the paper (they do not bleed through to the back). There is no way you can replicate traditional marbled patterns with oils as you cannot get the fine lines needed for combing and manipulating the colors.

            There are a number of "how-to" books on marbling...some better than others. Perhaps you can get some through library loans rather than purchasing them. There are two DVD's that demonstrate marbling: "Experience the Magic of Marbling" by Mimi & Patty Schleicher (www.marbling.com) and "Mastering Marbling" by Peggy Skycraft. Whether or not these are still available, you would have to contact them.

            Welcome to the world of marbling. (When I started in 1976 the only way to learn was from another marbler, now there are numerous tutorials on the internet and you can spend hours looking at them. Needless to say, some are better than others).

            d.guffey

            My name is Chris, I'm book restorer and beginner in marbling. I have started with paper marbling using oil colors, but I didn't got so good results and besides of that, it takes a long time to dry. I don't know if I did it right to start with oil colors... What kind of colors should I use for beginning?

            Regards, Chris

          • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
            Message 5 of 10 , May 9, 2012
              And, Chris, be prepared for years and years of learning (and cost, and binning, and reconsidering, and joy, and disappointment, and wonder) before even thinking of employing your papers for conservation work.

              Susanne Krause
            • Thomas D' Aquin
              Message 6 of 10 , May 25, 2012
                hello anne, se nd me your s nail mail address a nd I will sen d youj some sa mplesof oil marbli ng. I dontknow hbow to se nd poctures by email, but yhou willfind ny oil marbling somewhat different tha n otheres. tomas viava nt

                To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
                From: mypeonies@...
                Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 10:16:42 -0400
                Subject: [Marbling] Re: Oil colors

                Welcome Chris. I am planning to try marbling paper and fabric using oil

                colours and am wondering if it will work.

                Anne

              • Thomas D' Aquin
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 24, 2012
                  hello anne, I have bee3n marbling with oil colors for 50 years. I dont kn ow how to put my marblings on
                  the net. but if you will send me your snsil mail address, I will send you some laser prints of my marblings.
                  sincerly, Tomas Viavant. oilonwater@...

                  To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
                  From: mypeonies@...
                  Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 10:16:42 -0400