Re: [Marbling] Stormont

    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2012
      What materials, how are you using it etc. Need more info to troubleshoot!
      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com

      On 05/07/12, anthonianthonianthoni<anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:

      Dear marblers:

      As of late, I have been experimenting with the stormont
      However , I am unable to make the spots full of holes. Only a few holes appear .
      What can be done?

      Regards

      Anthony

    • anthonianthonianthoni
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2012
        I use Prussian blue gouache. I mix in the turps and gall into the paint, then add the water.

        I also find that the paint only *starts* to work in the way described below after letting it sit overnight . Even after much maturing, large coarse spots are produced

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, irisnevins <irisnevins@...> wrote:

        > What materials, how are you using it etc. Need more info to troubleshoot!
        > Iris Nevins
        > www.marblingpaper.com
        >
        > On 05/07/12, anthonianthonianthoni<anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:
        >
        > Dear marblers:
        >
        > As of late, I have been experimenting with the stormont
        > However , I am unable to make the spots full of holes. Only a few holes appear .
        > What can be done?
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Anthony

      • anthonianthonianthoni
        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2012
          NOTE for prussian blue, read phlatato blue gouache.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 8, 2012
            OK.... well, I find the most reliable stormont colors will be ultramarine blue and lamp black, and you can mix them for a nice navy blue. Any color should work, unless the manufacture is using some ingredients that prevent the holes somehow. That we have no control over.

            You need to use PURE GUM SPIRITS of turpentine, it gives the best lace effect. Other kinds leaver large random holes, at least with my paints. I found something interesting, I think AIR is one of the ingredients, again, at least in my paint, to make it perfect. I take usually a 2 ounce little squeeze bottle, fill it half to 2/3 full of paint. I add one drop of gall, 1-2 drops turps (like all marbling ingredients it varies from one day to the next!!). Shake well, and use while you keep shaking it full of air, I don't know what and it makes a difference. Of course in 1790 they had no plastic squeeze bottles, so not sure what they did. Apparently right from a whisk. If I do that, I get French Shell. So just saying how I do it, and what works.

            Of course a commercial paint will have dispersant usually, and you may not need more. The pattern does not like an excess of ox gall. You need to find the right balance of gall and turps. Also watering the paint down may help the turps to take over. I stress over and over, people think thicker paint, more pigment gives a better result. Usually it makes things worse to go in that direction.

            Let us know if it starts to work this way.
            Iris