Re: [Marbling] Re: Papier Royal Marbled paper story

  • Cynthia Eaton
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
      Not to split hairs, but it I did make a point that it was not a direct
      translation. To a native English speaker my intended point is that some
      phrases are understood to be used traditionaly in a specific order. Hence
      the use of "to and fro"as an example. And as an aside I will note that
      there is an association between "go and come", your Turkish translation,
      and "to and fro" does indeed relate in English. Go and To have a close
      relation in the sense that they indicate a sense of moving away in
      direction, Come and Fro share relation in the sense of a return or arrival
      from afar. Since semantics are becoming quite the issue in this thread I
      suppose I could have just started off using "come and go" but it didn't
      come to mind, pardon me.
      On Mar 12, 2012 6:33 PM, "jemiljan" <jemiljan@...> wrote:

      > Dear Vito,
      >
      > The notion that Mac�� Ruette "invented" marbling- or even specific
      patterns- is in no way universally accepted. Appeals to various
      "authorities" or years as a practitioner aside, this notion has been shown
      to be comprised of far more fanciful folklore than actual research. Richard
      Wolfe identified these stories as originating from Jean La Caille, and they
      were written some half a century after Ruette's death. See Richard Wolfe,
      Marbled Paper, pp. 36-7. There is no doubt that Ruette was an important
      bookbinder, and he may have also been engaged in early marbling in France,
      but these stories claiming he "invented" marbling or attributing basic
      combed designs to him is clearly an exaggeration meant to embellish
      Ruette's reputation.

      > Furthermore, the combed designs attributed to Ruette quite clearly have
      an earlier origin in India, Iran, and Turkey. Currently, I am working on
      translating several Persian language sources on abri papers (the word
      "ebru" is never used in any historical primary textual source before the
      mid 19th c.). When considered together with several concretely datable
      examples of marbled papers culled from various manuscripts, this evidence
      confirms these advances took place in India at the turn of the 16th-17th
      century. These proved so popular that they spread very rapidly, a paradigm
      that effectively challenges prevailing ideas about the development of the
      art marbling.

      <anthonianthonianthoni@> wrote:

      > > > Well then, may know the titles of the books?
      > > > Regards
      > > > Anthony

      Perhaps you should investigate the issue better. I am a librarian and this
      information can be found in books that you totally ignored the existence. I
      worked for 2 years at the IL PAPIRO of Corso Cavour in Florence in the late
      70's, so, believe me, I do not have much to learn from anyone and I had
      good teachers and expert abot thhe marbled paper world.

      the books. Again, they should know better.

    • Papier-Royal
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 13, 2012
        Dear Jake

        Thanks for your very interesting remarks and for your education and non-polemical tone. All these posts were created by the fact that I have read various posts that gossiped inappropriately after visiting my site section History.
        I honestly do not like the bickering. Some members of this beautifull group have a little exaggeration in their writings. Now I'm going through my papers, it's better, because between the saying and doing tehre is a lot of difference.
        " Storia magistra vitae" ( The story is teacher of life,said ancient Romans ) but the tone of "Professor" used by some members of group to denigrate the work of others, it seemed rather exaggerated and frankly not at all polite.

        The True Story? Posterity will judge it to.

        kind regards
        Vito