Re: message 6572

  • angchengsiew
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2012
      The message has been deleted and the member removed. She was warned when the first spam posting appeared.

      It's a judgement call to remove the member. I cannot be sure if the member is a genuine spammer or her email is compromised.

      There are two possible methods to mitigate spam.

      Method 1: make the group message posting moderated. This is not ideal as I have to approve every message. So far this group has responsible members and I do not want to make this restriction.

      Method 2: if the member is a suspected spammer or his email account is compromised, I can set only his message postings to "moderated". If the group continues to receive spam from the member, he will be removed.

      What do the group members think?

      My opinion is to use method 2.

      Regards
      John Ang
      Moderator

    • carylhanc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 7, 2012
        Thank you, John, for your reasoned response. I would vote for #2. Sadly, email hacking seems to be on the rise, and the list member may be unaware of the incident.
        Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

        The message has been deleted and the member removed. She was warned when the first spam posting appeared.

        It's a judgement call to remove the member. I cannot be sure if the member is a genuine spammer or her email is compromised.

        There are two possible methods to mitigate spam.

        Method 1: make the group message posting moderated. This is not ideal as I have to approve every message. So far this group has responsible members and I do not want to make this restriction.

        Method 2: if the member is a suspected spammer or his email account is compromised, I can set only his message postings to "moderated". If the group continues to receive spam from the member, he will be removed.

        What do the group members think?

        My opinion is to use method 2.

        Regards
        John Ang
        Moderator

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" <studio@...> wrote:

        > Is there a technical way to weed out non-group related spam?
        >
        > Susanne Krause

      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
          Dear John Ang,

          I second that. Thanks for your quick response.
          Susanne Krause

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, carylhanc@... wrote:

          > Thank you, John, for your reasoned response. I would vote for #2. Sadly, email hacking seems to be on the rise, and the list member may be unaware of the incident.
          > Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

        • Carol Pratt
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
            John, this happened to me once, several years ago. My email address was
            "pirated", and for some while messages were sent to the list in my name,
            even appearing to be sent from my computer. The listowner understood what
            was happening, and apologized as he "removed" me from the active group, not
            allowing me to post at all until the problem rectified itself. Took about
            a month before the issue went away. In the meanwhile, however, I could
            continue to receive postings that others made, but I could not reply. And
            subsequently, it happened to the listowner, as well.

            The same thing happened just recently to the email of a friend of mine, who
            had died the week before. Obviously, "her" posts were bogus, and the
            listowner took appropriate steps.

            I suspect the "offending group member" is innocent, but she could get
            another email address and rejoin.

            Carol Pratt
            Co. Kerry
            Ireland
            -----

          • gretchen vansant
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
              Spam is on the rise. The reason I have a yahoo mail box is it seems to be connected to a "norton" security. there is also a FREE security coverage by a company called AVG. You never open your door to strangers? well if the mail seems strange don't open it,just delete. If you do open it,imidiately delete in spam box and then delete your trash. Yesterday I got a youtube message ,,all legit but the address of the link was a canada pharmacutical company. Personally why would they think I'd buy something from them when they advertise in such away??  or...its a virus to get into my addresses... Peace Gretchen

              I second that. Thanks for your quick response..

            • fritzmiklaf@bezeqint.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2012
                I'd go with #2.

                Yehuda Miklaf