Xinjiang Gathering postponed

  • leech541@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2001
      Dear Marblers,

      I'm writing to let you all know that the gathering and exhibition in Xinjiang
      has been put on hold for a while - til October/November or possibly next
      spring. It was becoming obvious that planning, communication and funding were
      not coming together as hoped, and the wisest choice would be to call it off
      for now.

      There is every intention of carrying this through, so please stay interested.
      I've contacted all who have sent work already, but realize there may be
      others still planning to mail me a piece. First, thanks to those of you who
      sent work. Everything I received is beautiful! The concensus so far has been
      for me to hang on to the work until the time is right to send it. I will
      gladly return anything anyone wishes to have back, but will still encourage
      you to send work, though don't worry too much about a deadline for now. When
      this comes together again I will post another message.

      I'd like to reiterate that the purpose of the exhibition is to stimulate an
      interest and support in contemporary marbling in what we must consider the
      "ancestral homeland" of our craft. The high quality and diversity of the work
      i've received is most encouraging. Good will and good faith is certainly the
      spirit behind your donations. Come to think of it, isn't that the spirit of
      marbling?!

      I was surprised and encouraged by the number of people who responded by
      saying that if there had been more advance notice they would like to have
      attended. I passed that on to Oz, and this was one of the factors in putting
      off the exhibition. We will put together a complete information package,
      covering travel, accomodations, adgenda, itinerary and cost.

      I guess that's all for now. Please feel free to contact me directly with
      questions and comments. I appreciate your interest.

      Sincerely yours,
      tom Leech
    • mtomchuk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2001

        Hi Tom,

        Elaine Koretsky had a trip to China 2 years ago under the auspices of the
        International Paper Historians group. The Chinese powers that be got totally
        involved and made it an "international" conference and a show and tell. I was
        there.

        The point I'm trying to make is that funding might be available from some
        "cultural source" for this type of marbling conference. As you know the
        Chinese make the most out of every opportunity to show the world how well
        they work with the West, and to impress them, etc.

        I don't know if Elaine would have any input on the above.

        I am going to Burma with Donna Koretsky at the end of November... my vote
        would be to postpone the marbling conference 'till next spring.

        Thanks for the update.

        Marjorie