Paper Swap

  • kathryn fanelli
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9 6:27 AM
      Hello Swap Group,

      I have finally sent out my samples yesterday to all 9 of the folks who participated in this wonderful exchange. Being a busy mother of two and juggling work/studio with the added ills of midwinter I wasn't able to meet the 1/31 deadline although I tried to. I opened the envelopes of the samples mailed to me yesterday, thank you all so much for this, it's made my month!

      Cheers,

      Kathryn Fanelli
      Amherst, MA

    • fritzmiklaf@bezeqint.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 19 6:30 AM
        Well, all the paper samples are in (I have been very sick and couldn't get
        to the post office) and I am very happy that I took part in the swap. Very
        nice work, folks!

        I have a question for the list in general. If you use methyl cel, which one
        do you use? Do you need the archival stuff or will the wallpaper paste,
        hardware store variety do the job? What are the proportions or what is the
        formula for mixing?

        Best regards,

        Yehuda

        Yehuda Miklaf

        Jerusalem

        <mailto:fritzmiklaf@...> fritzmiklaf@...

        <http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/> www.yehudamiklaf.com

      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 19 6:44 AM
          Yehuda,

          the vast majority of wall paper paste is packed with fungicides, softeners, preservatives, resins etc., definitely not what's good for valuable books (and yourself, via your skin) in the long run. Archival mc is reliable, available in several grades of viscosity and moreover much less apt to give you unpleasant surprises.

          Susanne Krause

          > I have a question for the list in general. If you use methyl cel, which one
          > do you use? Do you need the archival stuff or will the wallpaper paste,
          > hardware store variety do the job? What are the proportions or what is the
          > formula for mixing?
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Yehuda
          >

          > Yehuda Miklaf
          >
          > Jerusalem
          >
          > <mailto:fritzmiklaf@...> fritzmiklaf@...
          >
          > <http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/> www.yehudamiklaf.com

        • jemiljan
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19 8:06 AM
            Yehuda,

            Others may be of better help with proportions (perhaps some tips are
            likely found in the message archives?), but the "methyl cell" that
            fabric marblers use is mainly a surface treated hydroxypropyl
            methylcellulose (HPMC) that can be dispersed in cold instead of hot
            water (how most types are made). An alkali is then added to activate
            the gel. Many use the clear ammonia, and then drop the pH afterwards
            with distilled vinegar. The specific type made by Dow Chemical is grade
            J75M-S. There is a slightly cheaper type made by Van Waters and Rogers
            that is sold by Daniel Smith for papermakers, but it never seemed to
            yield a gel equal to Dow's

            Dow has revamped their site, but they've expanded a number of articles
            on HPMC. Here is one
            <http://dowwolff.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1181/kw/methocel%2\
            0cold%20water/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyOTY2Njc3NC9zaWQvZy1FU3I1Ums%3D> , but
            there are other new articles posted in their knowledge base. You can
            still download this pamphlet
            <http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiterature/dh_004f/0901b8038004fa1b.pdf?fil\
            epath=methocel/pdfs/noreg/192-01062.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc> , which I've
            found very helpful.

            Hope this helps!

            Jake Benson

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, <fritzmiklaf@...> wrote:

            > Well, all the paper samples are in (I have been very sick and couldn't
            get
            > to the post office) and I am very happy that I took part in the swap.
            Very
            > nice work, folks!
            >
            > I have a question for the list in general. If you use methyl cel,
            which one
            > do you use? Do you need the archival stuff or will the wallpaper
            paste,
            > hardware store variety do the job? What are the proportions or what is
            the
            > formula for mixing?
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Yehuda
            >

            > Yehuda Miklaf
            >
            > Jerusalem
            >
            > <mailto:fritzmiklaf@...> fritzmiklaf@...
            >
            > <http://www.yehudamiklaf.com/> www.yehudamiklaf.com

          • Robyn Drew
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 19 11:19 PM
              Hi Yehuda,

              I have used wallpaper paste sachets from a hardware shop with watercolours/gouaches. I bought the paste suitable for hobbies and crafts, which don't contain any fungacides. I followed the instructions on the 50g packet (Pour contents into 4 Litres water, stirring continuously for about 1/2 minute). I used an egg whisk to stir. I let it stand overnight, but it was very thick and I had to add lots of water before I could get the paints to spread. I haven't used it for sometime, and only used it when I first started marbling because I'd heard that it was less temperamental than carrageenan (it was!). I've also heard that it doesn't produce as clear results as can be achieved with carrageenan.

              I hope this helps!

              Best regards,
              Robyn