Re: site of a facebook acquantance

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 8, 2012
      Moreover, they seem to date the papers by the printing date of the books. Again, they should know better.

      Susanne Krause
    • Feridun Ozgoren
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 9, 2012
        From the same web page: http://www.papier-royal.com/story.html

        “It possible that it crafstman inspired by the Byzantine marble wall that
        abound such as Haga Sophia in Istanbul”

        Turks never called ebru “marbled paper”. The name Ebri, Abru, or Ebru has
        nothing to do with marble. Hagia Sophia may have had inspired many things
        but not ebru. We can be little more serious, believe me it does not take
        too much!

        Feridun Özgren

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 9, 2012
          Yes the dates of the books.... some actually have machine marbled Victorian era papers, implying they may have been old books but rebound at those later dates. You'd think they'd be a little more thorough before they post this misinformation to the world, and sounding like complete authorities on the subject. marbling, ebru, the art was around for a long time by the 17th century. Just shows anyone can post anything about anything. It would not have taken much for them to check the histories or ask a few people.
          Iris Nevins
          www.marblingpaper.com

          On 02/09/12, Feridun Ozgoren<feridun.ozgoren@...> wrote:

          From the same web page: http://www.papier-royal.com/story.html

          “It possible that it crafstman inspired by the Byzantine marble wall that
          abound such as Haga Sophia in Istanbul”

          Turks never called ebru “marbled paper”. The name Ebri, Abru, or Ebru has
          nothing to do with marble. Hagia Sophia may have had inspired many things
          but not ebru. We can be little more serious, believe me it does not take
          too much!

          Feridun Özgren

          Moreover, they seem to date the papers by the printing date of the books.
          Again, they should know better.

          Susanne Krause

        • Papier-Royal
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 11, 2012
            Dear sirs

            I read your comments on my page of the History of marbled paper. Perhaps you should investigate the issue better. I am a librarian and this information can be found in books that you totally ignored the existence. I worked for 2 years at the IL PAPIRO of Corso Cavour in Florence in the late 70's, so, believe me, I do not have much to learn from anyone and I had good teachers and expert abot thhe marbled paper world.

            regards Vito

            http://www.papier-royal.com/index_en.html

            info@...

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/papier-royal/

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" <studio@...> wrote:

            > Moreover, they seem to date the papers by the printing date of the books. Again, they should know better.
            >
            > Susanne Krause

          • Papier-Royal
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 11, 2012
              Hi

              now you can see video

              i post it noy private now

              regard Vito

              info@...

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Sue Cole <akartisan@...> wrote:

              > http://www.papier-royal.com/story.html
              >
              > click on the different links to see more. I was not able to watch the
              > video, but everything else worked.
              > Sue

            • anthonianthonianthoni
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                Well then, may know the titles of the books?
                Regards
                Anthony

                "--- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Papier-Royal" <papier_royal@...> wrote:

                > Dear sirs
                >
                > I read your comments on my page of the History of marbled paper. Perhaps you should investigate the issue better. I am a librarian and this information can be found in books that you totally ignored the existence. I worked for 2 years at the IL PAPIRO of Corso Cavour in Florence in the late 70's, so, believe me, I do not have much to learn from anyone and I had good teachers and expert abot thhe marbled paper world.
                >
                > regards Vito
                >
                > http://www.papier-royal.com/index_en.html
                >
                > info@...
                >
                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/papier-royal/

                > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" <studio@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Moreover, they seem to date the papers by the printing date of the books. Again, they should know better.
                > >
                > > Susanne Krause

              • Papier-Royal
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                  Here you'll find everything you need to know to get started
                  written by Prof. Gabriel Mandel

                  http://www.puntosufi.it/TEMI6.HTM

                  read please about the famous bookbinder Macè Ruette ( XVII century)

                  greetings

                  Vito

                  https://www.facebook.com/marblingpaper

                  --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "anthonianthonianthoni" <anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:

                  > Well then, may know the titles of the books?
                  > Regards
                  > Anthony
                  >
                  > "--- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Papier-Royal" <papier_royal@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Dear sirs
                  > >
                  > > I read your comments on my page of the History of marbled paper. Perhaps you should investigate the issue better. I am a librarian and this information can be found in books that you totally ignored the existence. I worked for 2 years at the IL PAPIRO of Corso Cavour in Florence in the late 70's, so, believe me, I do not have much to learn from anyone and I had good teachers and expert abot thhe marbled paper world.
                  > >
                  > > regards Vito
                  > >
                  > > http://www.papier-royal.com/index_en.html
                  > >
                  > > info@
                  > >
                  > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/papier-royal/

                  > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" <studio@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Moreover, they seem to date the papers by the printing date of the books. Again, they should know better.
                  > > >
                  > > > Susanne Krause

                • Cynthia Eaton
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                    This looks to be a great resource, is there an English translation
                    available? I'm very interested on this thread. Thanks
                    On Mar 12, 2012 10:27 AM, "Papier-Royal" <papier_royal@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Here you'll find everything you need to know to get started
                    > written by Prof. Gabriel Mandel
                    >
                    > http://www.puntosufi.it/TEMI6.HTM
                    >
                    > read please about the famous bookbinder Mac� Ruette ( XVII century)
                    >
                    > greetings
                    >
                    > Vito
                    >
                    > https://www.facebook.com/marblingpaper
                    >
                    > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "anthonianthonianthoni"
                    > <anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Well then, may know the titles of the books?
                    > > Regards
                    > > Anthony
                    > >
                    > > "--- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Papier-Royal" <papier_royal@> wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > Dear sirs
                    > > >
                    > > > I read your comments on my page of the History of marbled paper.
                    > Perhaps you should investigate the issue better. I am a librarian and this
                    > information can be found in books that you totally ignored the existence. I
                    > worked for 2 years at the IL PAPIRO of Corso Cavour in Florence in the late
                    > 70's, so, believe me, I do not have much to learn from anyone and I had
                    > good teachers and expert abot thhe marbled paper world.
                    > > >
                    > > > regards Vito
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.papier-royal.com/index_en.html
                    > > >
                    > > > info@
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/papier-royal/

                    > > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" <studio@>

                    > books. Again, they should know better.

                  • D or Jer Guffey
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                      copy the text, take it to Google translate and translate it from Italian to
                      English. I just did this and there are no secrets revealed!

                      d.guffey

                      > This looks to be a great resource, is there an English translation
                      > available? I'm very interested on this thread. Thanks
                      > On Mar 12, 2012 10:27 AM, "Papier-Royal" <papier_royal@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> **
                      >>

                      >> Here you'll find everything you need to know to get started
                      >> written by Prof. Gabriel Mandel
                      >>
                      >> http://www.puntosufi.it/TEMI6.HTM
                      >>
                      >> read please about the famous bookbinder Macè Ruette ( XVII century)
                      >>
                      >> greetings
                      >>
                      >> Vito
                      >>
                      >> https://www.facebook.com/marblingpaper
                      >>
                      >> --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "anthonianthonianthoni"
                      >> <anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:
                      >> >
                      >> > Well then, may know the titles of the books?
                      >> > Regards
                      >> > Anthony

                      >> Perhaps you should investigate the issue better. I am a librarian and
                      >> this
                      >> information can be found in books that you totally ignored the existence.
                      >> worked for 2 years at the IL PAPIRO of Corso Cavour in Florence in the
                      >> late
                      >> 70's, so, believe me, I do not have much to learn from anyone and I had
                      >> good teachers and expert abot thhe marbled paper world.

                      >> books. Again, they should know better.

                    • Prepress
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                        Where are still secrets left?

                        Ludwig

                        Buntpapierer
                        ___________________________________
                        Hand Bookbinding and Tooling in French and German Tradition
                        310.217.0400
                        www.Handpresse.com
                        www.KrauseIntaglio.com

                      • Papier-Royal
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                          ....i never used alum to marble papers. ( I started in 1978 )

                          That's all ...have you all a fine job

                          Vito

                          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Prepress <typenut@...> wrote:

                          > Where are still secrets left?
                          >
                          > Ludwig
                          >
                          > Buntpapierer
                          > ___________________________________
                          > Hand Bookbinding and Tooling in French and German Tradition
                          > 310.217.0400
                          > www.Handpresse.com
                          > www.KrauseIntaglio.com
                          >

                          > On Mar 12, 2012, at 12:09 PM, D or Jer Guffey wrote:
                          >
                          > > copy the text, take it to Google translate and translate it from
                          > > Italian to
                          > > English. I just did this and there are no secrets revealed!
                          > >
                          > > d.guffey

                        • D or Jer Guffey
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                            If you are marbling with oil paints (instead of water based paints) there is no need to alum. Of course you won't get the same fine lines, but you can duplicate the patterns. I marbled in oils until I changed to acrylics.

                            d.guffey

                            ....i never used alum to marble papers. ( I started in 1978 )

                            That's all ...have you all a fine job

                            Vito

                            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Prepress <typenut@...> wrote:

                            > Where are still secrets left?
                            >
                            > Ludwig
                            >
                            > Buntpapierer
                            > ___________________________________
                            > Hand Bookbinding and Tooling in French and German Tradition
                            > 310.217.0400
                            > www.Handpresse.com
                            > www.KrauseIntaglio.com
                            >

                            > On Mar 12, 2012, at 12:09 PM, D or Jer Guffey wrote:
                            >
                            > > copy the text, take it to Google translate and translate it from
                            > > Italian to
                            > > English. I just did this and there are no secrets revealed!
                            > >
                            > > d.guffey

                          • Papier-Royal
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                              Please take a look to some my marbled papers on Flickr

                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/papier-royal/

                              no oil paints, bever used.

                              The materials used are the same as in 1600
                              Carragheen moss seaweed, powdered and boiled.
                              The colors are made with natural indelible pigments
                              that don't require pre-treatment paper with alum.
                              Fabriano paper or Fedrigoni pH neutral (acid free) g / 100-115 sqm

                              Vito

                              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "D or Jer Guffey" <dguff@...> wrote:

                              > If you are marbling with oil paints (instead of water based paints) there is no need to alum. Of course you won't get the same fine lines, but you can duplicate the patterns. I marbled in oils until I changed to acrylics.
                              >
                              > d.guffey

                            • Nancy Akerly
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                                Gorgeous papers!

                                Sent from my iPad
                                Liberty Grove Paper Arts
                                http://web.me.com/nakerly/

                                On Mar 12, 2012, at 5:37 PM, "Papier-Royal" <papier_royal@...> wrote:

                                > Please take a look to some my marbled papers on Flickr
                                >
                                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/papier-royal/
                                >
                                > no oil paints, bever used.
                                >
                                > The materials used are the same as in 1600
                                > Carragheen moss seaweed, powdered and boiled.
                                > The colors are made with natural indelible pigments
                                > that don't require pre-treatment paper with alum.
                                > Fabriano paper or Fedrigoni pH neutral (acid free) g / 100-115 sqm
                                >
                                > Vito
                                >
                                > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "D or Jer Guffey" <dguff@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > If you are marbling with oil paints (instead of water based paints) there is no need to alum. Of course you won't get the same fine lines, but you can duplicate the patterns. I marbled in oils until I changed to acrylics.
                                > >
                                > > d.guffey

                              • jemiljan
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                                  Dear Vito,

                                  The notion that Macé Ruette "invented" marbling- or even specific patterns- is in no way universally accepted. Appeals to various "authorities" or years as a practitioner aside, this notion has been shown to be comprised of far more fanciful folklore than actual research. Richard Wolfe identified these stories as originating from Jean La Caille, and they were written some half a century after Ruette's death. See Richard Wolfe, Marbled Paper, pp. 36-7. There is no doubt that Ruette was an important bookbinder, and he may have also been engaged in early marbling in France, but these stories claiming he "invented" marbling or attributing basic combed designs to him is clearly an exaggeration meant to embellish Ruette's reputation.

                                  Furthermore, the combed designs attributed to Ruette quite clearly have an earlier origin in India, Iran, and Turkey. Currently, I am working on translating several Persian language sources on abri papers (the word "ebru" is never used in any historical primary textual source before the mid 19th c.). When considered together with several concretely datable examples of marbled papers culled from various manuscripts, this evidence confirms these advances took place in India at the turn of the 16th-17th century. These proved so popular that they spread very rapidly, a paradigm that effectively challenges prevailing ideas about the development of the art marbling.

                                  Best Regards,

                                  Jake Benson

                                  --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Papier-Royal" <papier_royal@...> wrote:

                                  > Here you'll find everything you need to know to get started
                                  > written by Prof. Gabriel Mandel
                                  >
                                  > http://www.puntosufi.it/TEMI6.HTM
                                  >
                                  > read please about the famous bookbinder Mac� Ruette ( XVII century)
                                  >
                                  > greetings
                                  >
                                  > Vito
                                  >
                                  > https://www.facebook.com/marblingpaper
                                  >

                                  > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "anthonianthonianthoni" <anthonianthonianthoni@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Well then, may know the titles of the books?
                                  > > Regards
                                  > > Anthony
                                  > >
                                  > > "--- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Papier-Royal" <papier_royal@> wrote:
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Dear sirs
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I read your comments on my page of the History of marbled paper. Perhaps you should investigate the issue better. I am a librarian and this information can be found in books that you totally ignored the existence. I worked for 2 years at the IL PAPIRO of Corso Cavour in Florence in the late 70's, so, believe me, I do not have much to learn from anyone and I had good teachers and expert abot thhe marbled paper world.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > regards Vito
                                  > > >
                                  > > > http://www.papier-royal.com/index_en.html
                                  > > >
                                  > > > info@
                                  > > >
                                  > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/papier-royal/

                                • Cynthia Eaton
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 12, 2012
                                    Not to split hairs, but it I did make a point that it was not a direct
                                    translation. To a native English speaker my intended point is that some
                                    phrases are understood to be used traditionaly in a specific order. Hence
                                    the use of "to and fro"as an example. And as an aside I will note that
                                    there is an association between "go and come", your Turkish translation,
                                    and "to and fro" does indeed relate in English. Go and To have a close
                                    relation in the sense that they indicate a sense of moving away in
                                    direction, Come and Fro share relation in the sense of a return or arrival
                                    from afar. Since semantics are becoming quite the issue in this thread I
                                    suppose I could have just started off using "come and go" but it didn't
                                    come to mind, pardon me.
                                    On Mar 12, 2012 6:33 PM, "jemiljan" <jemiljan@...> wrote:

                                    > Dear Vito,
                                    >
                                    > The notion that Mac�� Ruette "invented" marbling- or even specific
                                    patterns- is in no way universally accepted. Appeals to various
                                    "authorities" or years as a practitioner aside, this notion has been shown
                                    to be comprised of far more fanciful folklore than actual research. Richard
                                    Wolfe identified these stories as originating from Jean La Caille, and they
                                    were written some half a century after Ruette's death. See Richard Wolfe,
                                    Marbled Paper, pp. 36-7. There is no doubt that Ruette was an important
                                    bookbinder, and he may have also been engaged in early marbling in France,
                                    but these stories claiming he "invented" marbling or attributing basic
                                    combed designs to him is clearly an exaggeration meant to embellish
                                    Ruette's reputation.

                                    > Furthermore, the combed designs attributed to Ruette quite clearly have
                                    an earlier origin in India, Iran, and Turkey. Currently, I am working on
                                    translating several Persian language sources on abri papers (the word
                                    "ebru" is never used in any historical primary textual source before the
                                    mid 19th c.). When considered together with several concretely datable
                                    examples of marbled papers culled from various manuscripts, this evidence
                                    confirms these advances took place in India at the turn of the 16th-17th
                                    century. These proved so popular that they spread very rapidly, a paradigm
                                    that effectively challenges prevailing ideas about the development of the
                                    art marbling.

                                    > Best Regards,
                                    >
                                    > Jake Benson
                                    >

                                    > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Papier-Royal" <papier_royal@...> wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > Here you'll find everything you need to know to get started
                                    > > written by Prof. Gabriel Mandel
                                    > >
                                    > > http://www.puntosufi.it/TEMI6.HTM
                                    > >
                                    > > read please about the famous bookbinder Mac��� Ruette ( XVII century)
                                    > >
                                    > > greetings
                                    > >
                                    > > Vito
                                    > >
                                    > > https://www.facebook.com/marblingpaper
                                    >

                                    > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "anthonianthonianthoni"
                                    <anthonianthonianthoni@> wrote:

                                    > > > Well then, may know the titles of the books?
                                    > > > Regards
                                    > > > Anthony

                                    Perhaps you should investigate the issue better. I am a librarian and this
                                    information can be found in books that you totally ignored the existence. I
                                    worked for 2 years at the IL PAPIRO of Corso Cavour in Florence in the late
                                    70's, so, believe me, I do not have much to learn from anyone and I had
                                    good teachers and expert abot thhe marbled paper world.

                                    the books. Again, they should know better.

                                  • Papier-Royal
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 13, 2012
                                      Dear Jake

                                      Thanks for your very interesting remarks and for your education and non-polemical tone. All these posts were created by the fact that I have read various posts that gossiped inappropriately after visiting my site section History.
                                      I honestly do not like the bickering. Some members of this beautifull group have a little exaggeration in their writings. Now I'm going through my papers, it's better, because between the saying and doing tehre is a lot of difference.
                                      " Storia magistra vitae" ( The story is teacher of life,said ancient Romans ) but the tone of "Professor" used by some members of group to denigrate the work of others, it seemed rather exaggerated and frankly not at all polite.

                                      The True Story? Posterity will judge it to.

                                      kind regards
                                      Vito