Marbling on Wood

  • carolscott56560@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 2, 2001
      Hi
      The other day a sent a brief response as to whether to treat wood with
      primer or not prior to marbling, and want to make a few clarifications.
      First I actually tried 4 options: 1) Marbling as Milena does directly
      on the wood, 2) Priming the wood first, to seal the wood 3)Using one
      coat of shellac instead of primer to seal the wood first and finally 4)
      Using 2 coats shellac.

      My marbling results marbling directly on wood was that the colors were
      very very pale, even before I rinsed it. Since Milena is having
      excellent results I can only suspect my problem was with the strength
      of my alum solution. I would like to know what her proportions were?
      Now it has been at least 5 years since I marbled these boxes so I have
      no idea what my alum solution was, but I believe that I used the
      proportion for marbling silk, that is listed in the Carol Taylor book.
      At any rate I thought that my marbling looked like it had absorbed too
      deep into the wood, causing it to look pale.

      I then tried priming the wood with Total One and agree with Milena
      that the paint sits on top and ruins the effect of marbling on wood.

      I tried sealing the wood with one coat of shellac. Since the shellac
      is much thinner than paint it easily absorbed into the wood, and my
      paint colors stayed relatively strong although still paler than
      marbling on paper. To compensate for the pale colors and also air
      pockets, I ended up overmarbling the box. The second coat of marbling
      had nice opacity.

      My final experiment was to try to use 2 coats of shellac. The results
      were that it sealed the surface too much, and the marbling or alum had
      no where to go, because much of my marbling rinsed off in patches.

      In summary I believe the easist road is the best, so if you can avoid
      sealing the wood, that would be the best option.

      Carol
    • Laura Sims
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 14, 2001

        When I marble wood I use 1/2 cup alum to 1 gallon of water (1/2 Tbl. to 1 cup).  Sponge on the alum.  If you do not want to marble on natural wood you can dye it with Procion MX or Procion acid dyes before applying alum.  Colors may appear pale because to little was on the surface of the bath or that the pigments were organic pigments (transparent quality) instead of inorganic pigments (opaque quality).  Some inorganics are cadmium, cobalt, titanium, ochre, raw umber.  If you add a little titanium white to each paint it will increase opacity.

        Best, Laura, Indigo Stone Marbling Studio

      • saints2be@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 9, 2001
          I came across this list while searching for information on how to
          marble on wood. I am in the process of manufacturing miniature mass
          kits for children to be used to teach all the symbolism in the church
          using the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd program. I have a prototype
          started. The altar itself is is a wooden box 18" x 8". I would like
          to give it a marblized look.

          So far I've learned from this list that I should not prime the wood
          first. Just start right in with the marbling. Would someone mind
          giving me specifics? What should be on my shopping list? Anything I
          should know before getting started? Any information is much
          appreciated.

          Thanks
          Chelsea Allan
          http://www.bywayofthefamily.com
        • Lavinia Adler
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 9, 2001
            Hi, Chelsea. I think what you might be after is the technique of making
            an object look as if it were made of marble. That technique is what I
            refer to as "marbleizing" as opposed to "marbling" which has many
            patterns and usually doesn't at all resemble marble. You can find info
            about "marbleizing" at any home improvement or hardware store which sells
            paint.

            Lavinia Adler

            On Fri, 09 Nov 2001 14:32:08 -0000 saints2be@... writes:
            > I came across this list while searching for information on how to
            > marble on wood. I am in the process of manufacturing miniature mass
            > kits for children to be used to teach all the symbolism in the
            > church
            > using the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd program. I have a
            > prototype
            > started. The altar itself is is a wooden box 18" x 8". I would like
            >
            > to give it a marblized look.
            >
            > So far I've learned from this list that I should not prime the wood
            > first. Just start right in with the marbling. Would someone mind
            > giving me specifics? What should be on my shopping list? Anything I
            > should know before getting started? Any information is much
            > appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Chelsea Allan
            > http://www.bywayofthefamily.com
            >

            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
          • mpmh60201
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 2, 2003
              I agree with MCS. Marbling over lacquer is asking for trouble in a
              craft with a trillion variances to contend with as it is! Ask your
              husband NOT to finish the turned wood before you attempt any
              further marbling. That seems to be the easiest solution! Trying
              to sandwich the marbling between two finishes really doesn't
              help the situation either. Like paper, different wood species will
              take to marbling in different ways...open grain, tight grain, soft
              and hard woods will all give different results. Try experimenting
              on small pieces until you "perfect" your technique. Also, poor
              marbling on a fine turned wood piece will detract from its beauty.
              Color (or lack of strength in color), and lightfastness of the
              pigments is also an issue as well as proper patterns for certain
              sizes and shapes of wood. MCS is a pro with many years of
              experience in BOTH marbling and wood turning. It takes time
              and great patience to do this correctly! -Milena
            • mpmh60201
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
                I've posted two images on wood in the file. If you're not familiar
                with this pdf format: find the -+ in the upper panel board and set
                to 75%. This will give you the best overall image. Milena
              • mpmh60201
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
                  Wood images are now in jpeg format. Disregard last message
                  about the pdf reduction to 75%.
                  Milena
                • MELODY BELLOCK
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
                    What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top and middle?
                    Melody

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 6, 2004
                      If you are referring to the bowl:
                      each section is masked off and marbled separately. The first
                      pattern has to be totally dry before the second is marbled.
                      Although the pattern edges are clear and crisp, I've hand painted
                      metallic copper rings between each pattern to emphasize the
                      designs.
                      Milena

                      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "MELODY BELLOCK"
                      <melbellock@m...> wrote:
                      > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top
                      and middle?
                      > Melody

                    • MELODY BELLOCK
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                        Yes I was referring to the bowl and wanted to know what you used to mask off the sections....duct tape...masking tape?
                        And by the way the bowl is beautiful. I like the shape, colors used to marble, and the variation of patterns.
                        thanks
                        Melody

                        <melbellock@m...> wrote:
                        > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top
                        and middle?
                        > Melody

                      • mpmh60201
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                          Melody,
                          A low tack masking tape works well on maple because it's fine
                          grained wood. Stronger adhesive tapes (such as duct) will leave
                          a residue on the wood which might be difficult to remove without
                          damaging the marbled areas. However, if you use wood such
                          as oak, with an open grain, then the low tack will not work as the
                          pigments will seep under the edges of the tape. Since I'm not a
                          woodworker/turner, perhaps someone out there has a better
                          solution. Also, the wood must be varnished after marbling. I
                          leave this up to the turner to use a compatible finish. Some of
                          the bowl shapes, sizes and grains have been quite challenging.
                          One should always strive to enhance this rather than let the
                          marbling take over (especially with color). Presently, my focus
                          has reverted to more fine art works on paper. Good luck!

                          <melbellock@m...> wrote:
                          > Yes I was referring to the bowl and wanted to know what you
                          used to mask off the sections....duct tape...masking tape?
                          > And by the way the bowl is beautiful. I like the shape, colors
                          used to marble, and the variation of patterns.
                          > thanks
                          > Melody

                          Terms
                          > of Service.

                          of Service.

                        • ANGEE
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                            How do we get to the site of the images?

                            Angee

                            > Wood images are now in jpeg format. Disregard last message
                            > about the pdf reduction to 75%.
                            > Milena

                          • J Dolphin
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 7, 2004
                              Go into the site--on the left hand side is a menu--click on either photos or
                              files--then click on which one you want to see.
                              Jill
                              > How do we get to the site of the images?
                              >
                              > Angee

                            • Dave Allen
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 9, 2004
                                Melina,
                                It's very beautiful! What a marvellous blending of crafts.
                                Dave

                                David Allen
                                840 Snowdrop Avenue
                                Victoria, British Columbia
                                CANADA V8Z 2N4
                                (250) 888-9380
                                http://www.webvictoria.com/beddall

                                Violence can only be concealed by a lie, and the lie can only
                                be maintained by violence. Any man who has once proclaimed
                                violence as his method is inevitably forced to take the lie
                                as his principle.
                                Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn - Nobel Prize lecture, 1974
                              • cfloate
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 14, 2004
                                  Melody,
                                  You can also use Friskit. It comes is sheets or liquid form.
                                  Depending on the shape of your object you could use either. The
                                  liquid form is best for rounder shapes as it forms to the surface.
                                  The sheets may not adhere to the round surface as well and you might
                                  get some pigment under the Frisket that may not be laying tightly on
                                  the surface of the vessel.

                                  Friskit can be gotton at most any art supply store.

                                  Good luck.

                                  Carole

                                  wrote:
                                  > What do you use to prevent the marbling adhering to the top and
                                  middle?
                                  > Melody

                                  Service.

                                • cfloate