Sealing Wood

  • milena@interaccess.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2001
      Sealing wood prior to marbling will place pigments on top of the
      lacquer or varnish...as the "final layer", so to speak. This will
      cause the design to amber (turn brownish) after a while and also create
      a "0" bond, as it has not been absorbed into the wood. This is not
      such a good idea if you wish your work to be permanent because if you
      seal it again after marbling...then the pigment is sandwiched between
      two sealants! If it's just ornamental and not to be touched then I
      guess it's OK to work in this manner. I have marbled a floor for a
      residential commission...no sealant first, only last. However, this
      final coating was done by a professional flooring company. All the
      wood was marbled in my studio, then installed after a certain low
      moisture content was reached, then varnished. The floor is still
      walked on and the project was done in the early "90's. It all gets
      very complicated at times when researching wood applications and
      finishes!!!