Re: "hand" of scarves

  • Marared9
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2011
      Greetings to all. I'm new to this group but not to marbling. I originally learned marbling in Istanbul and have used Turkish ebru pigments almost exclusively for paper. Recently I started working with silk and needed something that would work on fabric, so I've tried acrylics. Currently when I'm working on fabric I've been using primarily Dr. Ph Martin's Spectralite Private Collection acrylics (expensive but the colors are more brilliant than anything else I've found, including regular Spectralite).

      In any case, Sue, you mentioned using dyes for marbling. I'm hoping you can clarify that. I understand pre-dyeing fabric to get a foundation color, but I haven't been able to get dye to work for marbling on a bath because it just dissolves into the size. If I'm lucky and work really quickly I can get one brilliant print off the size, but after that nothing because the size is too polluted. My assumption has been that dyes wouldn't work because they are water soluble (so they are just diluted tremendously by the size), but pigments will because they aren't water soluble. Manufacturers aren't always precise with labels, so some things that are labeled silk "dyes" are actually pigment-based paints. The dye I've tried for marbling was Sennelier Tinfix, but I've assumed that any true dye shouldn't work unless it could be dissolved in a liquid that wasn't water miscible (e.g. some forms of alcohol with higher molecular weights). I haven't tried to do that because I found the acrylics I use before I got too desperate.

      Anyway, if anyone has found a type of true dye that works for marbling, can you share any info?