videos

  • Sue Cole
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 12, 2011
      There are lots of marbling videos on youtube. Put marbling, or ebru in the
      search box at the top. Although you will also get videos on marbled
      fingernails and other things, there are lots of serious ones on there. One
      of my favorites is Just Colour by two Australian ladies who use oil colors
      to do large bed sheet sizes of cloth.

      Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54OILOfT1bs plus there
      are several others to the right. There are also several bad ones on there
      also, so don't take everything as gospel.

      Good Luck and your scarves look great.
      Sue

    • Sue Cole
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 27
        Here are two that I hadn't seen before.  The second one is for beginners.  The main correction I would make is that it is better to use Photo Flo for acrylics and ox gall for watercolors

        Sue
      • Nancy Akerly
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 27
          Even after all these years of marbling paper I still have not found much success with metallic color. I marble on carrageenan with water based acrylic paint and my gold and copper always seem to sink to the bottom, leaving only a faint sparkle visible under certain light. Can anyone suggest a metallic paint or technique with which you have had success? There are not many times when I would choose to enhance my marbling with metallics, but I sure would like it to be obvious when I do. Thanks so much.

          Nancy Akerly
          Sister Bay, Wisconsin
          Liberty Grove Paper Arts
          www.libertygrovepaperarts.com
        • Ludwig Mohr

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 27
              I use Createx Pearl colors ( silver , gold , copper ) and they work great. But I use methylcellulose and marble on fabric.
            • Nancy Akerly
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 27
                It's worth a try!  Thanks,
                Nancy

                Sent from my iPad
                Liberty Grove Paper Arts
                Sister Bay, WI 54234

                On Mar 27, 2015, at 11:44 AM, Sewell westsiiiiiiide@... [Marbling] <Marbling@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                I use Createx Pearl colors ( silver , gold , copper ) and they work great. But I use methylcellulose and marble on fabric.

              • Ginny Moreland
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 27
                  Nancy,

                  I use Golden Fluid Acrylics and I love all their metallics, though they do behave a little differently.  I mainly use them on medium to dark colored paper (black is especially dramatic), finding the results on white paper to be too subtle for my taste.

                  Ironically, sometimes part of the paint does sink, but at the same time it spreads very aggressively.  I think thorough stirring just before application helps some with the sinking, and I end up adding more water to control the spreading.  The sparkle will show up the best if the metallic paints are compressed into smaller shapes, not allowed to spread too much.

                  Some of the metallics come in "fine, medium, and coarse" varieties. I've avoided the coarse on the theory that they might flake off more, but with no real evidence.

                  I've also played with combing a metallic or pearl with another color, sometime to great effect, other times not so much.  (like all of marbling, I guess!)

                  Good luck,
                  Ginny

                  --
                  Ginny

                  Ginny Moreland
                  Black Mountain, NC

                  UU Congregation of the Swannanoa Valley - a welcoming congregation
                  ColorTwirl Marbling - marbled silk and paper products, instruction, demonstrations
                • Larissa Don
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 27
                    I have used Winston and Newton Galleria Acrylics - I add Silver to metallic up many colours. Sometimes I add aluminium powders to intensify.

                    http://marbling.weebly.com/
                    Mobile: 0736386251

                    "If only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies.. how very different our ideals of beauty would be."

                    On 27 March 2015 at 10:32, Nancy Akerly nakerly@... [Marbling] <Marbling@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    Even after all these years of marbling paper I still have not found much success with metallic color. I marble on carrageenan with water based acrylic paint and my gold and copper always seem to sink to the bottom, leaving only a faint sparkle visible under certain light. Can anyone suggest a metallic paint or technique with which you have had success? There are not many times when I would choose to enhance my marbling with metallics, but I sure would like it to be obvious when I do. Thanks so much.

                    Nancy Akerly
                    Sister Bay, Wisconsin
                    Liberty Grove Paper Arts
                    www.libertygrovepaperarts.com

                  • cherry_hill_drive
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 27
                      Hi!
                      Sometimes I think the success of using metallics is dependent on unseen factors - like how your hold your tongue - just kidding, or course! If I am going to play with metallics, (I work on methylcel, mostly fabrics, and various acrylics) I often mix a thicker size - say 4+TBSP of powder to a gallon of water or even more.  That seems to help the tiny flakes stay on the surface. I try to put the metallics down first or second, because as someone mentioned, they really spread, then I work to compress them, but that often causes the sparkle to drop.  If I am planning on doing a lot of metallics, I might save the fabrics or whatever, and do them all at once with an overprint of the metallic and the thicker size - often an Italian hair vein pattern. That keeps the main bath from getting all sparkly.

                       I also use the Jacquard line of metallic fabric paints,  and they also make Lumiere in a lot of colors which has more sparkle or pearlescent effects:  Lumiere also comes with a "halo" effect - which changes the color of the sparkle, depending on how the light hits it. There is also the actual powder, called Pearl-Ex (also by Jacquard) which can be added to the paint (wear a dust mask  - this is a very fine powder!).  And finally, I found a really Pearlescent Liquid Acrylic Ink in a rainbow of colors in the craft section of a local chain store (Hobby Lobby, I think). It is made by Daler-Rowney, Bracknell,  England, and in Jamesburg, NJ.  I shamelessly mix any and all of these, and often add a neon for extra punch! I know Sue Cole likes the Golden hi=flo metallics.

                      And finally, when all else fails and I want a touch of sparkle, I made a couple of small  delicate stencils that I can use to stamp.  Probably more than anyone wanted to know, but I hope that helps! Also, I have no affiliation with Jacquard or the other products I mentioned.

                      Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 27
                        Hi Nancy,

                        I can't add much to what others are saying. I use Golden's metallics (always the "fine") thinned with a little distilled water and have had no problems. I never throw them last. They do show up on darker papers better than lighter but they will show up on white paper (just doesn't pop as much). Interestingly, they don't work well for me on wood. I've never thought to try them on fabric.

                        HHH,
                        Barb

                        www.BarbSkoog.com
                      • Nancy Akerly
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 27
                          Thanks, Caryl!  Coincidentally I just today got out my PearlX from my paint box to give it a try.  I think you are so right about incidental factors.  I will make an absolute statement in my marbling classes and then find myself saying that it always works that way, except when it doesn't.  Just one of marbling's many charms!
                          Thanks to all who have responded,
                          Nancy

                          Sent from my iPad
                          Liberty Grove Paper Arts
                          Sister Bay, WI 54234

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 27
                            I bought some Golden metallics last year, Barb, but I haven't been convinced they play nice with the paints I currently use.  I will try a tray with only Golden paints. Thanks!
                            Nancy
                            Sent from my iPad
                            Liberty Grove Paper Arts
                            Sister Bay, WI 54234

                            On Mar 27, 2015, at 6:30 PM, blskoog@... [Marbling] <Marbling@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            Hi Nancy,

                            I can't add much to what others are saying. I use Golden's metallics (always the "fine") thinned with a little distilled water and have had no problems. I never throw them last. They do show up on darker papers better than lighter but they will show up on white paper (just doesn't pop as much). Interestingly, they don't work well for me on wood. I've never thought to try them on fabric.

                            HHH,
                            Barb

                            www.BarbSkoog.com

                          • Bj Cashman